Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

141 - 160 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Post deleted.
Reason: No value added to the original post.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I'm not sure why you're trying to explain around the t-stat swap. This is a tried and true method that has been used on the sports cars for a while. If the t-stat opens at a lower temp to allow for cooling, of course the water temps will stay lower, you're cooling the water before it's heat soaked. I promise you it wasn't the coolant I used.

Here's the CF thread, with several people who swapped to the Z and the Nismo Z t-stat.

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f11/true-nismo-350z-thermostat-54-c-swap-mod-46035/#/topics/46035?page=7

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Whatever works for you my friend.

Reactions: Ripper

·
Premium Member
9,952 Posts
I also run the 350z t-stat and it for sure runs cooler. The whole idea is to make it take longer to get up to the higher temps and allow it to drop to a cooler temp when it can. My stock 15 is almost always between 195 and 200*. My 07 with the 350z t stay now runs 185-190* almost all the time. It used to run 195-200* and would spike up into the 215-220 range every trip offroad. It has never gone over 200 since. That really helps when you are offroad and rarely get good air flow.

To say it doesn’t help when you have clearly never tried it is absolutely rediculous.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
To say it doesn’t help when you have clearly never tried it is absolutely rediculous.
Jsexton.
Obviously, you know far more about my life's experiences than I do yours.
Thank you, for putting me in my place.

To make amends, I will even give you a "like" for your efforts.

·
Premium Member
9,952 Posts
Jsexton.
Obviously, you know far more about my life's experiences than I do yours.
Thank you, for putting me in my place.

To make amends, I will even give you a "like" for your efforts.
Have you put a 350z t-stat in an xterra?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Mr Jsexton.

Please allow me to be clear on two facts.

First, your post which I will quote is absolutely correct.
I don’t really know why the thermostat came up in a thread about AT temps anyway
With this in mind, I ask you now; " Which of us is continuing to deviate from the thread topic?"
In my case, I deleted my final post to Rikrong two plus hours prior to your own being posted as I acknowledged it departed from the focus of this thread. Honestly, out of respect, I would have removed all of my posts on this matter except for the fact they had been quoted.

Secondly, were both surfing the internet.
I could contribute a thermostat for an 05 350Z is part number 21200-4W01B which by the way replaces part number 21200-4W010 or 690-MTS-350Z-03L for a Mishimoto thermostat. Additionally, I could easily present detailed steps which would elaborate the process of changing a thermostat. To be clear, it's not rocket science is it?
However, short of filming myself wearing a pink polka-dot shirt and a party hat, changing a thermostat, why would you believe me if I said " Yes." To be clear on this matter, the internet can easily make a genius out of every idiot. Regardless of my answer, it would behoove you to consider it false until proven otherwise.

Out of respect to the OP, and those searching for advice on the provided topic, please understand this will be my last post on this subject.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Is there anyway to tell what firmware version the unit is by the packaging? A date or something like that? Is there any benefit versions over v4.42(for a 2012 X)?

Im not interested in getting an old unit and having to send it in and paying for a current version.

EDIT TO ADD: Got mine from Amazon it's version 4.52

·
on line
2,865 Posts
so i own a 2007 and would love to use the scangauge2 again in my truck. i had to go the bully dog route and that has been not as stable as the scangauge has been- the bully dog freezes at times and i have sent the unit in for repair MULTIPLE times but it still freezes and their support is hopeless. I actually paid them the $100 to send me another one but that one did the same exact thing. new cables, new everything else, same issue. Thing just freezes and i have to flip the switch on the power block to reboot it. It does the same thing regardless if it's on odb2 power or the fuse panel conenction so it's somethign with the bully dog unit itself- i think they just repaired the one i sent in, improperly.

I am fed up with bully dog and really wished the scangauge 2 would get the transmission temps for my 2007.

I own 2 scangauges- 1 in my 2017 jeep which i love and one that was in my 2013 jeep i recently traded for a mustang.

i would love to be able to upgrade the one from the 2013 and put in my xterra and put the bully dog on a shelf till i needed to retune.

what is the current status of getting the SG2 to read trans temps for the 2005-2007 xterras?

·
on line
2,865 Posts
really? i read in this thread that you can only show transmission temps alone or everything else. meaning you can't have your coolant temp, rpms,etc AND trans temp displayed all at once. is this true?

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
I'm not sure exactly but mine seems faster than that. Maybe 10-15 seconds between updates. It's fast enough for me so I never got out a stopwatch And I normally keep voltage and water temp on there at the same time and that's not been a problem.

I really appreciate having it on the display. My trans will stay around 130-140F all day during normal driving after having tracked down the the overheating issues I had. (Fan clutch, e-fan, water pump, radiator, t-stat, hoses...) Until I head home. Getting home from town is around a 10% average climb and within 2-3 minutes it'll shoot right up to 220F. It's actually gotten me in the habit of hitting the OD/Off button or even shifting down to 3rd for the last mile or 2. If I do that the higher RPMs will keep it under 170F. I only go 25-30mph on such a bumpy snowy road anyway so the max RPM in 3rd is only about 2k. Seems to limit the shift-hunting/slipping and keep my trans a lot cooler though. Just something I never thought of before having it on the display.

·
on line
2,865 Posts
so if it can read trans temps while it shows coolant and voltage and air/fuel ratio i would ditch the bully dog in a heart beat.

sounds like it can only show trans temp- and update fast enough- but not the other stuff at the same time?

the bully dog does that (provides live updates on all 4 things it shows at once) BUT it doesn't do all the mpg stuff AND the thing locks up on occassion. bully dog could never fix the issue. I never had those issues with my scan gauges on my other cars. up until i got the new stang, i had 2 other cars with scan gauges and love them.

·
Registered
299 Posts
so if it can read trans temps while it shows coolant and voltage and air/fuel ratio i would ditch the bully dog in a heart beat.

sounds like it can only show trans temp- and update fast enough- but not the other stuff at the same time?

the bully dog does that (provides live updates on all 4 things it shows at once) BUT it doesn't do all the mpg stuff AND the thing locks up on occassion. bully dog could never fix the issue. I never had those issues with my scan gauges on my other cars. up until i got the new stang, i had 2 other cars with scan gauges and love them.
The scangauge 2 does provide you with trans temp, coolant temp, and voltage (not air/fuel ratio per users manual) at the same time. It can display 4 gauges simultaneously

141 - 160 of 168 Posts