Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to change a ball joint and this happened.

That would be the shaft for one of my saw's...

These would be the threads on the bottom of that shaft...

Im assuming the valves and all that comes with them is at the bottom of the shock tube. Ive compiled a list of parts needed to replace this. Im hoping that the shaft moving up and down hasnt been beating on the valves and all the shims and whatever else might be down there.

Does this look like to anyone that knows what they might be doing?
These are 12'' travel right? I dont have the remote resi's.

Ill be doing a how to on this when I get the time to do this. As for now I simply put the shaft back in the tube and bolted it back in... the limit of the uca prevents it from coming apart normally.

·
Registered
88 Posts
So I went to change a ball joint and this happened.

That would be the shaft for one of my saw's...

These would be the threads on the bottom of that shaft...

Im assuming the valves and all that comes with them is at the bottom of the shock tube. Ive compiled a list of parts needed to replace this. Im hoping that the shaft moving up and down hasnt been beating on the valves and all the shims and whatever else might be down there.

Does this look like to anyone that knows what they might be doing?
These are 12'' travel right? I dont have the remote resi's.

Ill be doing a how to on this when I get the time to do this. As for now I simply put the shaft back in the tube and bolted it back in... the limit of the uca prevents it from coming apart normally.
I dont have them, but from what ive read they are a greg special 6.25 travel or somethin. I wish we could fit a 12" travel with a titan swap:dontknow:

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont have them, but from what ive read they are a greg special 6.25 travel or somethin. I wish we could fit a 12" travel with a titan swap:dontknow:
I dont know what I was thinking when i said 12... I talked to greg at prg and he said that its about a 5'' travel shock so the shaft should be around 6ish inches. He doesnt machine them so they come directly from SAW. I spoke with SAW today and they want me to take some pictures to see if they need to fix this or if i need to.

They mentioned that this has never happened on a road vehicle before. Hopefully it will be an easy fix...

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its a little worse than I thought...

I talked to eric at swayaway and he is sending those pics to his tech guys and they will figure out if they are going to cover it or if i have to. If they say I have to then ill fight a little. Worst case I cover cover half. hopefully.

·
Registered
901 Posts
"a little worse that I thought," LOL!

That is F'ed. Unless they can show that you, idk... dropped it in a meat grinder... I don't see how they could avoid covering that under warranty. Any idea what happened?

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess their biggest weapon is that its an older shock and who knows I may have taken in apart and put it back together wrong or something...

but besides that it is pretty messed up. Im wondering if topping out could have been an issue? I dont think so because the spring is too short to do that. Maybe the nut just fell off..?

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im the second owner but these came from greg and havent been opened. until today to discover this. I really hope they do the right thing and fix it for me. The small cost to them will be huge in terms of how customers view their customer service, at least in this community.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just got this email from them.

Hello Marco,

We would like to replace this shock for you. We don't know what exactly happened but, PRG is a good company and we do stand behind our parts.

Do you know which kit this is from PRG?

Is the other shock working properly?

Please provide me your shipping address.

Thank you,

Eric Andres

·
Registered
698 Posts
I've rebuilt SAW coilovers twice. Granted, mine have the remote res, but still, I consider myself pretty good at rebuilding them now and am familiar with what the inside's look like.

Holy Fawk. That's all I have to say on that. To me, it looks like somehow the shock got bound while it was compressed and it when it let go it ripped the nut off the end of the shock shaft, thus the busted threads. The rest of the damage to the shims, seal head, etc. came from it banging away in there. No idea how in the hell that could've happened though. That's insane. How long is the warranty on these things? Wouldn't have thought they'd have warrantied it after a couple of years. Nice to see they will.

This makes me want to keep my coilover business with them... Especially since they came out with compression adjusters for the remote resi shocks.

EDIT: Two Things...

1) When was the last time the shock was rebuilt? After a year and 35K miles, my shock oil was still red. This looks like motor oil, or at least it does on your bench.
2) Measure your shims if you can. Compression and rebound if you kept them separate. I don't remember if Greg orders them from SAW all ready valved or if he orders the shocks built to his spec then re-valves them.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've rebuilt SAW coilovers twice. Granted, mine have the remote res, but still, I consider myself pretty good at rebuilding them now and am familiar with what the inside's look like.

Holy Fawk. That's all I have to say on that. To me, it looks like somehow the shock got bound while it was compressed and it when it let go it ripped the nut off the end of the shock shaft, thus the busted threads. The rest of the damage to the shims, seal head, etc. came from it banging away in there. No idea how in the hell that could've happened though. That's insane. How long is the warranty on these things? Wouldn't have thought they'd have warrantied it after a couple of years. Nice to see they will.

This makes me want to keep my coilover business with them... Especially since they came out with compression adjusters for the remote resi shocks.

EDIT: Two Things...

1) When was the last time the shock was rebuilt? After a year and 35K miles, my shock oil was still red. This looks like motor oil, or at least it does on your bench.
2) Measure your shims if you can. Compression and rebound if you kept them separate. I don't remember if Greg orders them from SAW all ready valved or if he orders the shocks built to his spec then re-valves them.

No idea how long the warranty is supposed to be but these shocks could be 4 years old now. probably around 3.

The shock has not been rebuilt. But it only has about 40K on it max. Im thinking the oil took a beating as well... There is a slight hint of red when i had it in a bottle.

The shims are not measurable anymore. not a single one is unscathed and some are torn to pieces smaller than a grain of rice. They asked which kit of prgs this is so I showed them a link. Does greg not have these anymore? Just the remote resi ones? Thats the link I gave them.

fingers crossed on them sending out a replacement soon!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Oh Greg probably still has them. I just mentioned it so you can be on the safe side and tell them what valving they came with. Not a hard job if it's not right when you get the new shock. Tedious, but not hard.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bit of an update. After that last email I never got one back so i called and called until i finally reached my rep again and he said that he is going to call greg right now and get a replacement and give me a call back in a few. No call for a week. So i call again and hes unavailable... I was hoping to get this done a little sooner...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts