Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
on line
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that have added a Shrockworks front bumper, did you save your front bumper (e.g. using MC's aluminum angle iron mod), and if so, what did you do with it? If you sold it, to whom, and for how much?

I checked with a couple of places around here, and there doesn't seem to be any market for an 06 X front bumper, so I'm wondering if I should just cut off the top plastic part, as per Jim's instructions, rather than spend the time/effort to keep the stock bumper intact.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Lets put it this way. If someone does wish to purchase a new front bumper they're going to have to pay out the butt to get it from a retailer.
If you have a perfectly good one to sell and you place it on e-bay or on this site, you very well might get a bite.
The other reason to keep your front bumper is in case you ever want to sell your Xterra and make it stock beforehand.

·
on line
335 Posts
the first is valid...the second...you could probably find someone willing to buy the bumper and give you their stock bumper if you go back to stock.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Well, let me let you in on my thinking in the quest to save the bumper. Aside why hack a perfectly good part? That's plastic, that's made from oil, and all the trouble we go through for that..... and.........

I thought, what if I trade this in and get the last model of this version of X. (I always do that if I like a model, buy the last year) My thinking was:

There is No Dam way I am waiting for a new shrockworks bumper! I'll stick this one back on and turn it in! Maybe re finish mine and have it on hand!

And, If something should happen, like accident. I am not going to pay for a stock bumper while I wait on a shrockworks replacement....Just to take it back off and hack it.

Once you buy the aluminum angle it only takes maybe a half hour to do the dirty deed. I think I looked up a bumper once and it was like $450 Not bad pay for half an hour. MC

·
on line
15,651 Posts
MC,

Have you contacted Jim about this mod? Maybe he can just supply an angle bracket. He probably can make it faster than most on this board and I doubt it would raise the cose of the bumper much.

·
on line
2,459 Posts
I saved mine and it was worth the extra couple dollars to do it.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Well someone needed mine, And it was free to deliver so I sold it for $200, so knock that off the cost of the bumper and there ya go. Not everyone is X crazy, some people stay with stock bumper and the way they break like glass, sooner or later someone will need it! I'm going to buy some winch rope with the money. And a Jerry can holder, and? MC

·
on line
2,459 Posts
dpatton said:
cornick said:
I saved mine and it was worth the extra couple dollars to do it.
Worth it in what way?
Just to have incase I trade mine in a few years. I could always take off the shrock and resell it or put on a new one.

I think it cost me $2 for the piece and an extra 30 minutes to make the change to it. Not a big deal in my book - but everyone is different.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Actually No, I figured it would take more time away from production and the people waiting for bumpers would hate me.

Jim would have to buy the Angle, drill the holes, make the bends, then add it to the shipping and the cost. And, some people wheeled with their bumper and it's like scrap so not everyone would use it.

So I thought i can make a Pattern and sell em. But, it's so cheap to do, it's not worth the time or shipping. So,

If you just DIY everyone saves.

However, Mosi did mention a paper pattern for the aluminum. Not a bad Idea, but, if you have the 1X1 angle on hand (Like your bumper did not ship too quick for ya) It don't take that long to make the two cuts and drill the 3 - 4 holes using the Bumper as a pattern.

I'm glad I did mine, it was in perfect shape and someone made use of it, and I took the money from the sale and bought more Shrockworks products. ;) Really! MC

1 - 13 of 13 Posts