Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone added the OEM Sirius/XM satellite receiver to the Rockford Fosgate system? I've got an '05 SE and it's supposed to be "satellite ready".

I see the Nissan OEM satellite receiver module at:
http://www.courtesyparts.com/xterra/N50_interior.html

Kinda pricey, but it beats buying a new head unit, which would probably require a new amp which would probably require a new sub...etc...

Are the interface connectors into the HU buried somewhere under the dash? Is there a separate input on the HU, where the satellite kit would provide the connector for input?

On the HU, how do you select the satellite radio. There's CD/Radio input buttons, but no Aux or Sat or anything obvious that I see.

Thanks in advance,

·
on line
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Old Army said:
http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2485
-Old Army
Thanks...I'd seen this earlier, but it didn't quite answer all my questions. Looking at the link within the link (thanks Mosi):
http://home.comcast.net/~mosi26/xterra/siriussat.pdf

My questions remain however...
1)Is there a factory sat-radio cable/connector to the HU buried under the dash, or
2) Is this cable/connector included with the Satellite upgrade kit, AND
3) How is the Satellite Radio selected from the Rockford HU.

Thanks in advance,

·
on line
616 Posts
The cable is buried right next to the intended location for the satellite receiver. That is, it is already installed and connected to the HU. All you have to do is connect the satellite receiver to the cable. Its quite easy.

Once installed, the XM or Sirius is available as if it were an additional radio band. Hit the radio button to scroll through AM, FM, XM. The presets can be used for XM channels as well.

The only downside is the limited display on the HU. Also note the steering wheel control only access the preset channels. You cant advance the radio one channel at a time from the steering wheel.

The only change I would suggest from the factory kit is an alternate antenna and alternate antenna mounting location. Mine is an XM mag mount from circuit city. I mounted mine right above the rear hatch on the roof.

-Old Army

·
on line
47 Posts
We are looking at an installed sirius after some twerps stole our plug and play. Great info in the links to this thread, but, do these installed units allow the "pause" function of the plug 'n play?? And just how limited is the display?

·
on line
471 Posts
I have a stock RF stereo and in terms of the limited display on satellite radio, the problem is not the size of the screen, but the fact that the text cannot scroll. What you see on the screen is what you get, if a songs name cannot fit all the way on the screen, too bad, it just cuts it off, it will scroll to let you see the rest of the song title. If by "pause" you mean pause the radio, the answer is no, you cannot pause it. However, I have had many plug and play satellite radio receivers before and the integrated systems always have better sound quality than the plug and play units do, no matter how good or bad the stereos are. Also, you can scroll through channels that are not pre-set from the steering wheel, all you do is hold the switch up for something like 1.5 seconds and instead of going to the next pre-set it goes to the next channel.

·
on line
47 Posts
Thanx - think we will go with the plug and play as we use the pause function frequently and like to move the unit to our RV.

·
on line
516 Posts
I have a stock RF stereo and in terms of the limited display on satellite radio, the problem is not the size of the screen, but the fact that the text cannot scroll.

What you see on the screen is what you get, if a songs name cannot fit all the way on the screen, too bad, it just cuts it off, it will scroll to let you see the rest of the song title.
I had the RF Stereo since day 1.

And I seem to recall seeing the song name/title automatically scroll while listening to FM but not Satellite (noticed while demo'ing sound quality difference to a friend a long time ago)

Has anybody resolved this scrolling issue?

Does anyone have the exact model number of the RF Stereo?

Thanks

·
on line
2,044 Posts
you might be able to find a better price on the reciever and antenna through thefind.com or you can check on myradiostore.com i purchased the terk marine xm antenna from them..... signal is so strong... when i drove trough the phoenix area and went under the 200 foot tunnel, i did not loose signal at all...

·
on line
4,434 Posts
I have a stock RF stereo and in terms of the limited display on satellite radio, the problem is not the size of the screen, but the fact that the text cannot scroll. What you see on the screen is what you get, if a songs name cannot fit all the way on the screen, too bad, it just cuts it off, it will scroll to let you see the rest of the song title. .........

...... Also, you can scroll through channels that are not pre-set from the steering wheel, all you do is hold the switch up for something like 1.5 seconds and instead of going to the next pre-set it goes to the next channel.
The funny thing is that my iPod attachment shares the XM band on the RF head unit on my '08 SE (with Technology package option), and it does scroll and display the whole name when using the iPod, just doesn't scorll for some reason with XM. (You have to set the head unit to XM radio, and then it recognizes if the iPod is plugged in on the cable or not. If not, it goes to XM radio.)

Of course this assumes that you actually have the steering wheel buttons to control the radio, which is part of the technology package too.

Truth be told, I dropped my XM subscription last year. I wasn't really happy with the channels, many of the channels had endless commercials just like regular FM, and the reception really sucks if there's any trees or buildings around.

·
on line
1,120 Posts
I have a portable Sirius unit and my B-I-L installed and aux input (as a gift before I even took possession of the Xterra) with splitter that allows me to plug in the radio or an mp3 player of my choice just have to hit the radio button and it goes to Sat 1 or Sat 2. The radio unit I mounted under the the 4x4 and other switches and the second input is in the console (don't use it often). As for antenna I learned a secret from my corvette buddies those tiny little Sirius antennas can be mounted darn near anywhere as long as they have some line of sight to the sky, mine is on the dash between the two defrost vents nearest the windscreen and have never had reception problems not even when wipers are on during rain storm with the exception of when I pull into a parking garage and lose sight of the sky pretty awesome since I didn't have to run the wire outside the vehicle. J

·
on line
4,434 Posts
Maybe XM sat coverage isn't as good as Sirius? :dontknow:

The antenna for the OEM XM 'technology package' on the SE (and an option for the OR) has the antenna up on the roof, under the airdam in front of the gear basket. The plastic is transparent to radio signals, so it should get perfect reception up there. The reality is that if there are tall buildings, overpasses, tunnels, or forrests of tall trees, or even parked in my garage, the satelite reception with XM sucks ass.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts