Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OR anyone who would care to contribute.

(1). Whichever axles you used - how did the diff. align with the TC and props?

(2). Does your axles track wider than the X's axles ?

I am contemplating a Bronco front with an air locker and a ford 9" rear with a Detroit (I think this is 8th's Man setup, 'cept for the air locker)

I really don't want to track wider than the X's. I don't want to use any wheel spacers. I plan on using the Ford's hubs/rotors and obviously lug pattern.

Appreciate it guys!

·
on line
63 Posts
Kahuna said:

I am contemplating a Bronco front with an air locker and a ford 9" rear with a Detroit (I think this is 8th's Man setup, 'cept for the air locker)

I really don't want to track wider than the X's. I don't want to use any wheel spacers. I plan on using the Ford's hubs/rotors and obviously lug pattern.

Appreciate it guys!
You would have to get early Bronco axles to be closer to the width of an X.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
parts list from the first page of ponyboys SAS build.

Dana 44 - Ford Bronco 78-79
Dana 44 4.56:1 Ring and Pinion
Dana 44 Master Install Kit
Ford 9" - Ford Bronco 78-79
Ford 9" 4.56:1 Ring and Pinion
Ford 9" Master Install Kit
Bronco Monster Radius Arms - High Travel
Fox 2" Coilovers - Emulsion
Eibach 300lb Coil Springs
Rebuilt Steering Box
Custom Tie Rod and Drag Link
Pittman Arm
Ford Radius Arm Clamps
Custom Front Track Bar
Steering Shaft
Bilistien Shocks - Rear
Misc Front Axle Parts - Brakes, Brake Lines, etc.
Custom Hydraulic Steering Lines
Custom Front Bump Stops
Custom HD CV Drive Shaft
Custom T-Case/Tranny Mount/ Skid
Misc Parts for Rear Spring Over
Custom Front Skid Plate

here is a pic of how the rear tire stuffs....

·
on line
1,206 Posts
I get a chubby every time I look at that pic...

·
on line
1,114 Posts
Kahuna said:

Appreciate it guys!
1. Jordan and I both used axles from a 78'-79' Bronco. They're High Pinion Dana 44's and Ford 9" axles. I'm not positive about BoonDox but I believe he followed suit. Of course, these are full width axles and they'll fit perfectly under a 2nd Gen X without narrowing. Just a tiny bit of offset keeps the u-joints happy. Here's a shot of my rig during the build:

The guy under the truck is Eston.

2. Good thing about the 2nd Gen X is that it's a few inches wider than the 1st Gen. Still, your tires will extend a couple inches outside the rear wheel well but still legal in most states. The wider stance helps keep your rectum intact on those off camber trails.

I'm not sure which carrier Jordan used but I believe he kept the spider gears in his D44. I have a Detroit Locker up front. The Detroit takes some getting used to. 99% of the time, all you'll hear from the rear is some clicking but every so often, you'll get a bang/clunk/thud. Meh, it's a Detroit.

·
on line
576 Posts
8th Man said:
I'm not sure which carrier Jordan used but I believe he kept the spider gears in his D44. I have a Detroit Locker up front. The Detroit takes some getting used to. 99% of the time, all you'll hear from the rear is some clicking but every so often, you'll get a bang/clunk/thud. Meh, it's a Detroit.
Yeah, I left my Dana 44 open. I had them slap a detroit in the rear, and like Steve said, the clicking and thud is kind of weird at first. But you get used to it. I have thought about e lockers for the front and rear, but haven't found a reliable aftermarket one yet. And from what I read, they aren't true lockers, but instead a tightly packed lsd.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts