Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
on line
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, at least the initial phone call. Talked with Eston at All-Phase today. Introduced myself and discussed what I envisioned, which is a SAS with front and rear leafs - and while we're at it SOA F&R. He said it's totally doable and maybe a little less involved than doing coils or coilovers. He said I really need to talk with Dave about the particulars. Dave will be calling me back. It prolly won't be done as fast as 8M's or PB's or BD's, but I have decided to go for it. Once the X wheels come off for the last time I will start a projects thread and keep you all updated on its progress.

·
on line
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cincinnati_xterra said:
So when is it going to start? How come you didnt try it yourself. When I do my big lift (titan swap or SAS) im going to do it myself. Cant wait to see it.
Ill let you know when it starts - the soonest would be (2) months from now. I am midway through my jetski project and I need to get my LR together before spring, so I will have a vehicle to drive while the X is in Colorado.

Plus I need to wait until all my Shrock stuff I ordered gets here to install before it goes.

I don't have the skills to do this myself! Engineering, welding, fabrication - to me its best left to the pros.

I can't wait either!

·
on line
1,114 Posts
Kahuna said:
Well, at least the initial phone call. Talked with Eston at All-Phase today. Introduced myself and discussed what I envisioned, which is a SAS with front and rear leafs - and while we're at it SOA F&R. He said it's totally doable and maybe a little less involved than doing coils or coilovers. He said I really need to talk with Dave about the particulars. Dave will be calling me back. It prolly won't be done as fast as 8M's or PB's or BD's, but I have decided to go for it. Once the X wheels come off for the last time I will start a projects thread and keep you all updated on its progress.
Congrats! Eston is not just a welder, he's an artist. Dave and Vaughn are extremely knowledgeable and very nice guys. Chris is a wizard with a wrench and a heck of a nice guy, too. I'm sure there are a lot of great shops coast to coast but All Phase is tops in my book. My drive out there (2 1/2 days) wasn't that bad. It was a great adventure and I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

If you go leaf sprung up front, you might want to ask about limiting straps so your front drive shaft won't pop out. Leaf sprung fronts work perfectly well. Fabbing up that should be quite a bit cheaper, faster and easier than coils/coilovers.

If you've ordered stuff from Jim at Shrockworks, ask him to ship the parts directly to All Phase. That's what I did. Jim had no problem with that at all. *note* If I had it to do over, I would have ordered a bare rear bumper from Shrockworks WITHOUT the tire carrier. Then, I'd ask Eston to fab up the tire carrier. It might be cheaper and faster.

Why not go ahead and start your "SAS/SOA" post in the Xterra Projects section so we all can follow along with the fun.

Dave and Vaughn can get really busy and they may not return your call as quickly as you'd like. They're not ignoring you. They're just very very busy. Don't be afraid to call the shop. You're not a bother, you are business.

·
on line
1,695 Posts
8th Man said:
If you go leaf sprung up front, you might want to ask about limiting straps so your front drive shaft won't pop out. Leaf sprung fronts work perfectly well. Fabbing up that should be quite a bit cheaper, faster and easier than coils/coilovers.
I think you are assuming a shackle reverse set-up on this one, 8th. So long as he mounts his shackles in the front of the vehicle like they should be (lol, just stirring the pot... opinions vary) he shouldn't need anymore long travel of a driveshaft than he would with a coil set-up (axle will still rotate towards the t-case with front shackles). But, if he does want to run a SR, then yes, prepare to foot the bill for a long-travel driveshaft.

I'm excited to see a full leaf conversion. Leaf springs provide plenty of flex when properly set-up and are much easier to work with, IMO.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I hate working on leafs. They are easier to setup than a coil suspension, but once the math is done and the control are geometry is set, a coil sprung suspension works great.

I would rather work on my Jeep's suspension than the Xterra's. :)

·
on line
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
8th Man said:
Congrats! Eston is not just a welder, he's an artist. Dave and Vaughn are extremely knowledgeable and very nice guys. Chris is a wizard with a wrench and a heck of a nice guy, too. I'm sure there are a lot of great shops coast to coast but All Phase is tops in my book. My drive out there (2 1/2 days) wasn't that bad. It was a great adventure and I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

If you've ordered stuff from Jim at Shrockworks, ask him to ship the parts directly to All Phase. That's what I did. Jim had no problem with that at all. *note* If I had it to do over, I would have ordered a bare rear bumper from Shrockworks WITHOUT the tire carrier. Then, I'd ask Eston to fab up the tire carrier. It might be cheaper and faster.

Why not go ahead and start your "SAS/SOA" post in the Xterra Projects section so we all can follow along with the fun.

Dave and Vaughn can get really busy and they may not return your call as quickly as you'd like. They're not ignoring you. They're just very very busy. Don't be afraid to call the shop. You're not a bother, you are business.
Thanks so much for your insight and encouragement!

There are a few things I would like to see if they can be incorporated in this project :

Spring Mounts
(these are mounting between the rear spring hanger and the frame on the front leaf only):

Telescoping props:

Revolvers:

As well as I would like to discuss with Alcan the possibility of producing parabolic springs for the X.

Thanks Again 8M!

·
on line
1,206 Posts
I have some brand new revolvers for sale if you are interested...

·
on line
1,114 Posts
I'd suggest that you discuss your ideas with Dave. He has a wealth of experience in these matters and I'd trust his advice without hesitation. After all, he's the professional while we're just enthusiasts. They'll build what you want but their insight concerning specific parts and how well they work with your vehicle is invaluable.

Be open minded about having some of your build ideas questioned. It's not that they're trying to sell you something you don't want or need. They're just concerned about making your build safe, strong and functional.

·
on line
239 Posts
Make sure you do your research about those revolvers. You won't find many people who endorse them. They can be quite dangerous.

·
on line
3,218 Posts
"Make sure you do your research about those revolvers. You won't find many people who endorse them. They can be quite dangerous."

Poppycock.

·
on line
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BoonDox said:
I look at leafs, the front spring hangers are easy.
The issue i had where to mount the rear part of the
leaf pack no frame in that area DOH. I ran a D44 out
of a 76 f250. Also thius could help out in pricing your project
on parts.
http://www.trail-gear.com/suspension.html
It could be cheaper in some areas than having them custom made.
Thanks a ton Boon, everyone

1 - 16 of 16 Posts