Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 284 Posts

·
on line
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is the updated list of the components that make up the SAS as of 12/26/14. I dumped the PSC hydraulic assist steering after breaking it during a crash on the trails. I've toned it down just a bit for street worthiness and I get less hassle from the Virginia State Authorities...County cops are cool. I decided to register the vehicle as a truck (Truck tags) and I've lowered it to comply with Virginia height requirements for vehicles over 7500 GVW. She's nearly 10 years old now so I've decided to get a fresh Nigh Armor paint job in the spring. All dents and dings will NOT be repaired. I wear my scars.

Tires & Wheels
Goodyear - Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar - 37 x 12.50R x 17LT
Mikey Thompson - Classic III - 17 x 9

Front Suspension Components
Cage - Long Arms
Ruff Stuff - 1.25" Heim Joints
Fox - 2.5" x 10" Coil Overs Shocks
King - Springs

Rear Suspension Components
Alcan - SOA - 9 Leaf Springs (Arched for 3" lift & 350 lbs)
Fox - 2.0 Racing Shocks, Remote Reservoir, 5/8" Shaft, 10" Travel
Automotive Customizers -Polyurethane Bushings

Drive Shafts
Tom Woods - Double Cardan
Tom Woods - Golden Seal U-Joints

Steering System
Toyoda - Steering Gear Box
Ruff Stuff - 3/4" Heim Joints - 4340 Tie Rod, DOM Drag Link & Track Bar

Front Axle
Dana - 44 High Pinion (65" Axle - 1979 Ford Bronco)
Yukon - 4.56 Ring & Pinion
Superior - 4340 Chrome Molly Axle Shafts (Inner and Outer)
Longfield - 300M U-Joints
Eaton - Detroit E-Locker
Warn - Premium Manual Locking Hubs
Crane - Differential Cover
Timken - Bearings

Rear Axle
Ford - 9" (65" Axle - 1979 Ford Bronco)
Yukon - 4.56 Ring & Pinion
Yukon - 31 Spline 4340 Chrome Molly Shafts
Eaton - Detroit Locker
Timken - Bearings

Armor
Shrockworks - Front Bumper
Shrockworks - Rear Bumper
Shrockworks - Rock Sliders
Shrockworks - Skid Plate
All Phase Offroad - Transmission & Transfer Case Skid Plate
Nissan - Fuel Cell Skid Plate

Winch
Warn - M8000 with Snatch Block

Off Road Lights
Hella - Rally 3000

IMG_0494.JPEG IMG_0495.JPEG IMG_0492.JPEG IMG_0880.jpg IMG_0737.jpg IMG_0735.jpg IMG_0739.jpg IMG_0528.JPEG IMG_0503.JPEG IMG_0504.JPEG

8th Man

·
on line
2,938 Posts
:wav:

Awesome!!!!

You have quite a pair.

·
on line
1,407 Posts
Congrats! I am looking forward to drooling over the pictures! :cheers:

·
on line
576 Posts
When going with alcan springs, be sure to ask for about 1.5 inches of more left than i asked for (i asked for 1"). So your gunna want around 2.5 inches. Good luck, and can't wait to see the end result!

·
on line
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PonyBoy said:
When going with alcan springs, be sure to ask for about 1.5 inches of more left than i asked for (i asked for 1"). So your gunna want around 2.5 inches. Good luck, and can't wait to see the end result!
I normally carry around 250 lbs. of crap with me when I trail. Will a 2.5" pack hold up?

·
on line
2,459 Posts
Nice man!! What kind of budget did you start off with?

·
on line
266 Posts
just curious.. how long was it before calmini came out with a solid axle swap kit?

·
on line
1,320 Posts
BADASS! it's awesome to see this happening again! Best of luck on everything!
05XOR wrote:
Here is the final parts list minus some misc. stuff
It's amazing how much this "misc." crap adds up... be prepared!

In regard to your Alcan question... you can request the 2.5" lift and increase in spring rate for the extra 250lbs.

·
on line
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rebuilding junkyard axles isn't so bad unless you go with ultra high end chrome moly shafts, ultra tough u-joints and ARB lockers.

You can save some money buy reusing the stock axle shafts but they need to be in good shape (no twists in the splines). The stock Ford 9" axle shafts make a good candidate for reuse as does the stock 30 spline D44.

What hurts the 2nd gen guys is there are no gears available. Additionally, we have no steering box and we're stuck with a bizarre 6 lug wheel pattern. Now if we only could get gears for the T/C.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Can someone please clue me in on how a detriot locker works? It is no selectable right? But it is not active all the time, right?

·
on line
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
on line
2,938 Posts
It is what I figured, but just wasn't 100%. I was more curious on how it handled turns when one wheel spins faster then the other.

Thanks.

·
on line
496 Posts
Congrats 05XOR, oh and you suck man. :geek: God forbid what my wife will do to me when I get to Colorado after this Germany thing is over with. :geek:

·
on line
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's easy. It costs as much as you can afford. The parts list dictates the price. Better quality parts or more parts...the more expensive the build.

I can't give you an exact price because there are so many variables involved. If you want a general idea of the cost for a 2nd Gen X SAS, just double the total cost (all parts & labor) for a 1st Gen X SAS. But that just gets you a bargain basement 2nd Gen X SAS build (still pretty awesome).

I've decided on a "best bang for the buck" parts list.

FYI - I've seen a parts list for what you might consider "the ultimate" 2nd Gen X SAS and all I'll say is... :pale:

·
on line
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The Ford 9" and D44 axles have arrived at the shop. Some other axle goodies arrived as well. Parts are starting to come in despite the terrible weather out in the midwest.

·
on line
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok guys. I know it's been a while since I posted an update but I've just received some info. to pass.

Here's the latest info. (if anybody is interested), wheels and tires are on the way as are the Fox coils and Alcan leafs. Everything else is pretty much there or in route and should arrive by 1 Feb. There's a Jeep on the rack the that's running a bit behind. Consequently, my shop arrival date has been pushed back to the 12th. Hey, at least I have a date now.

Here's a shot of the heavy duty high pinion D44 nearly finished. If you're curious what's inside it, go to my original post.

·
on line
1,407 Posts
Looking awesome!

1 - 20 of 284 Posts