Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
on line
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess this is as good a place as any for this thread.....it's not really a trail, but a hell of a long ride.

So I was suppose to make this trip a year ago but ended up overseas for months and didn't want to do it in the winter when I got back. I'm moving from San Diego to Eastern Canada. We dont want to move, but it's work related...long story.

Anyway, this Thursday I'm pulling out of San Diego with the X packed up and pulling a 7x14 tandem trailer loaded to 5,000lbs. I think I have everything ready to go with a few small items to resolve. The trailer has 4 wheel electric brakes, all being controlled by a Prodigy brake controller. Tomorrow I'm hooking up the Weight Distribution hitch and sway controller. the X already has the Tranny cooler so no problems there.

In addition to the towing, this weekend I've added a new Amp, MBQuart components up front, a new Pioneer deck, with Ipod and Sirius Adapters. I also put in a 1.5 Farad Cap to keep all the electronics happy. I've also installed my Magellan GPS with my route also planned out in MS Streets and trips.

My plan is to head out of San Diego straight East on I8 and then start moving diagonally across the country. My brother is doing the trip with me and we are planning on taking it easy for the most part and taking our time. I'm expecting 8 days to complete the slightly more than 4000 miles. I figure 8-10 hours a day on the road doing 50-55mph on average.

I drove around San Diego a few times now with the trailer and the X has PLEANTY of power to pull the 5K load. The bigger question now is does it have the ability (wheel base) to control that much up over the mountains outside San Diego before hitting the flat plains.

At least I will notbe paying SoCal gas prices of $3.60/gal across the country. I get 15 mpg around the city and 20mpg usually on the freeway. I'm hoping to at least get 10 mpg pulling out in the central plains.

Whenever I get a chance after we pull out of town, I'll try to update this thread on how the Xterra is working and any problems I have noticed.

By the way, thanks MC for answering a bunch of towing and trailer questions I had a few months back. I think I should be all set.

·
on line
1,732 Posts
make sure you go thru the desert on I-8 @ night I dont think you want to be towing 5000lbs thru 100 degree heat during daylight hours Good luck w/ yer trip

·
on line
631 Posts
i agree with bigboy about driving at night through the desert. ive driving solo from northern utah to southern cali about 11 or 12 hour drive. i prefer to drive at night, but thats me. good luck with the trip!

·
on line
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Arrived

I made it the whole 3800 miles without any issues. I never had a chance to update the thread because we only stopped long enough to sleep. Did 3800 miles in just under 5 days.

The X had more than enough power to pull the trailer across the country. I can say with 100% certainty, the X can pull way over the 5000lbs easily and won't even hesitate.

I drove the whole trip with O/D off. My mileage was between 10 and 12 mpg depending on flat plains and rolling hills. There was not a single spot across the country where the X hesitated pulling the trailer up the hills keeping it at 60 mph. If I wanted, I'm sure I could have driven up to 80, but I would not have felt safe..

One thing that became obvious was different gas milage depending on the brand. On a tank from Shell, Exxon, Mobile or Chevron, I easily obtained 11-12 mpg. Any of the Pilot, Loves etc cheap gas barley got me 10 mpg on the same flat plains in the central states. I'll do up a milage summary once I get some sleep so I can see the final MPG across the country.

The trip broke down like this;
Thursday - San Diego, CA to Lordsburg NM - 560 miles
Friday - Lordsburg NM to Tulsa Ok - 941 miles
Saturday - Tulsa OK, to Indianapolis, IN - 636 miles
Sunday - Indianapolis, IN to Albany, NY - 783 miles
Monday - Albany, NY to Halifax NS - 857 miles

I could have done it a little faster, but the first day I was going on no sleep from the day before so we cut it short.

All in all, it was a comfortable drive and I'm amazed how easy the X pulled the weight.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Awesome!

Time to change your location in your profile.

·
on line
384 Posts
I wish I had known you were coming through Tulsa. I would have been happy to provide lodging and a meal. Glad the trip went smooth.

·
on line
551 Posts
Good to hear the trip went smooth and the X met the challenge.
Halifax is a great city: my mom grew up there down by Pt Pleasant Park.
Last summer I went back for the first time in about 30 years and we stayed at the dorms at St Mary's University. Showed the family around: The Ciitdel (remarkable construction) harbor, city gardens etc. You ever need info, I'm sure my mom knows the answer (or can find out)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts