Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
has that ever happened to you? Lol

I just found it funny that when I called Discount Tire to get a quote for the GG AT2 the salesman tried talking me into a cheaper tire, actually giving me two different options and telling me I don't want mud tires. The GG are not MT tires but setting next the the Destinations he said were on his wifes's Honda Pilot they probably seem like MT's. Lol The tires he was trying to get me into were the Firestone Dueler ATrevo and Destination LE2. While I was talking to him I brought up both tires online to get a look at them and neither of which are what I wanted. They are essentially road tires, especially the Destination. He seemed irritated that I shot down both tires, I was just saying that I was pretty much set on the GG.

By the way, he quoted me at $786.00, aligned balanced, etc. Seems high. I can have them shipped to my door through Discount Tire Direct for $588.00 and I didn't ask but saw somewhere here that it's generally around $50.00 to have tires installed. Or I could buy the 285/75/16 GG and if it only cost me 50.00 for the install I'm right at $786.00. Hmmmm... By going that route and having them shipped to me I'd be saving around $150.00, seems like a bone head move not to do it that way.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Yes. Discount Tire talked me into these POS Cooper ATPs. I've regretted it big time since day one. Especially since I hit 20k miles because now not only do they not balance, they are extremely loud.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Mine roar worse than my BFG M/Ts did. They make my Xterra sound like I have a failing differential.

I almost trashed them the other day for RevoIIs even though they have well over 50% treadlife left.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Not only have I had a tire shop try to sell me "cheaper" tires, I've caught them installing tires I didn't order. I would have forgiven the mistake if they hadn't tried to blame me for it. Said I didn't tell them the right tire, and I know that is BS, I'm anal about tires, had a printout of the tire sheet from the manufacturer in front of me when I called, and there is no way I told them to put a highway tire on by mistake when ordering A/T's.

I don't think they were too happy when I told them to get my old tires back on the rims so I could leave.

Right now I'm using a locally owned tire shop that has been pretty no nonsense with me. They aren't the friendliest shop I've ever used, they won't talk you to death in there, but I kinda like that. They always do what I ask, and don't ask me questions.

Most tire shops will bargain with you on price, the way I did my last set was I quoted around, found Discount tire was cheapest, told that local shop the price they had to beat, and they said "that won't be a problem" and I think I got them for maybe $50 less overall.

·
on line
951 Posts
I call my buddy who runs a tire shop, tell him what I want and he hooks me up. I have had issues with other shops, mostly Town Fair Tire. They tried to sell me some chinese made crap, then tried to sell me gg at/2 when I wanted bfg at ko. I've also called around for prices and had shops to call others first then call them back and tell them the prices that I found. Sorry, if you want to shop the competition do it yourselves, don't be lazy.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
they want to sell you tires that cost you less, but likely their profit on the cheaper tires is greater than the ones you want. I have had the same thing happen once when I went to buy a bose series 5 set of speakers years ago. They tried to talk me out of 1000 dollar sale to a 600 dollar one, bur found out later they made 500 on the 600 set and 300 on the thousand set. So if you know what you want, don't get talked out of it.

·
Registered
991 Posts
A "spiff" is an additional commission paid to a salesperson for selling a particular product. Usually these are offered by the manufacturer to establish new products or to clear out old stock.

I'm betting a spiff is responsible for your experience.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
In the case of the OP, he recommend two high quality tires. Most people don't like M/Ts. They buy them for the look and regret them. His heart was likely in the right place.

You have to offroad a lot and be able to deal with the side effects of purchasing an M/T. I didn't mind the ones on my Rubicon, but it was a rubicon. They were actually a lot better than I expected. They only sucked on icy roads. Then they were downright scary...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
In the case of the OP, he recommend two high quality tires. Most people don't like M/Ts. They buy them for the look and regret them. His heart was likely in the right place.

You have to offroad a lot and be able to deal with the side effects of purchasing an M/T. I didn't mind the ones on my Rubicon, but it was a rubicon. They were actually a lot better than I expected. They only sucked on icy roads. Then they were downright scary...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

I have MTs. Love em. Won't get them again though. They look great for 6 months then I missed a nicer quieter ride of ATs

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
M/Ts and A/Ts are not created equally. I really didn't mind my BFG M/Ts at all (minus ice) as long as I rotated them every oil change. I actually liked them a lot better than my BFG A/Ts. I had the old style that came OEM on Rubicons.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts