Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just moved to a new neighborhood. While unpacking, I met a 17 y/o who was looking for a lawn-cutting gig. We started talking about local gas prices. I mentioned the Safeway nearby, and how inexpensive the gas was there. To which he replied, "Oh god no... why would you go there?...they're always shut down for 'maintenance'... don't you know, they put water in their gas!"
Deciding not to listen to a kid, (without a car) I just filled up Tuesday with "premium" gasoline from Safeway inTracy, Ca. It was about 15 gallons. I figured: 1- alerting the fuel, or the pumps is illegal, 2- this place is always packed with people, how could it be true? 3- it's SO cheap!
I drove about 70 miles, and I noticed, I was consuming fuel faster than usual, but I ignored it. Yesterday, after it sat, it took me two attempts to start it. Again, I ignored it, assuming that I was just in a rush to start-up and go (maybe I released the start position prematurely). But on my way to my destination, the X had a rough idle, and did not want to take off. Today, same thing happened, plus, I threw a code. P0174- I was running too lean.
I looked up Safeway gas on the Web. I found that Safeway has a history of selling contaminated fuel to customers. And they have ruined a lot of vehicles.
I told my wife not to go there, but she said she already did, and half-a-tank of premium only got her 40 miles in her manual passat.
I called customer service, made a claim, and the store manager should be contacting me today. I'll keep you updated. Until I find out if this is a coincidence or not, you all should avoid Safeway gas stations.

Anyone know who supplies Safeway?
Also, assuming there actually is a problem with the fuel, after running about 150 miles, what parts would you replace? Thanks.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Both of our cars run regular, so we always get the lowest octane stuff -- and, because we shop for groceries at Safeway, we get gas there, too, because of the extra discount.

I've never had a problem with their gas (here in Colorado -- elsewhere we buy other stuff). It could be that finicky cars that require premium don't like it so much, though. HPH

·
on line
612 Posts
Not sure if it's the same with all Safeways but in my area I can use the discount I get from shopping at Safeway at Exxon. It's not as cheap as getting gas from a Safeway station but I trust Exxon for better gas.

·
Registered
435 Posts
It's not on my normal stomping grounds, but I use it on occasion and have had no problems. My brother-in-law and sister use it all the time with no problems. There is a warning for a lot of places. I have heard people that get only Sunoco because its supposed to be better or just generally avoid convenience store gas too but also have heard there is true measurable difference. Maybe the local supplier for you just half-butt's it on quality?

·
on line
4,593 Posts
I believe that it would be highly illegal to deliberately add water to gasoline.
Never mind getting it to mix.

A high Ethenol percentage perhaps?

Ours is posted at 10%, but IIRC Shell is 15%.

The Safeway nearby has about the same price as Costco.
I've had very rare "bad tanks" over the past 17 years from both.
As well as Chevron, Shell, and Arco.

:shrug:

Sure hope you work out whatever issues you're experiencing.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is only the second time I've used Safeway, the first time was in Nevada (I think). And I ALWAYS use premium, in both vehicles, without issues. The ast. Store manager said he uses Safeway 87 from his location, without issues. But I forgot to ask him when was the last time he got an entire tank. He told a story about when he cleaned his o2 sensor, and his car was fine after. Suuuuuure. He mentioned, their fuel is tested for quality (hopefully by a third party). I'll will be requesting the test results when I speak to the SM.

·
on line
4,593 Posts
Keep in mind that we are probably right at the timeframe where California switches over to "winter blend" as well. Although not likely the causation of your issues.

·
on line
465 Posts
Over here in the San Jose area you can use your Safeway gas discount at Chevron stations, (up to $0.20 a gallon discount) which is what I usually do.

I have on occasion gassed up at the new Safeway gas station in Campbell (less than 2 years old). No issues with the gas that I can recall. However, recently they have been digging up much of that new station where the fuel tanks are located, so I have to wonder if they had a problem with their tanks or lines?

Your post says you recently moved, but not sure from where? California just recenlty switched to "Winter Blend" gas last month. You can expect about a 10% drop in fuel economy with "Winter" blend gas compared to "Summer" blend gas. Just FYI incase you moved in from out of state and were not use to Kalifornia gas.

From what you described, I would suggest adding some fuel stabilizer or fuel treatment and see if that helps. I have personally had good results using AMSOIL P.I Improver or RedLine SI-1) YRMV. Good luck. :eek:ccasion5:

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Been pumping Safeway gas in Morgan Hill cuz the wife shops there so we get a discount and haven't had any issues so far. *crosses fingers*

·
on line
22,508 Posts
I just moved to a new neighborhood. While unpacking, I met a 17 y/o who was looking for a lawn-cutting gig. We started talking about local gas prices. I mentioned the Safeway nearby, and how inexpensive the gas was there. To which he replied, "Oh god no... why would you go there?...they're always shut down for 'maintenance'... don't you know, they put water in their gas!"
Deciding not to listen to a kid, (without a car) I just filled up Tuesday with "premium" gasoline from Safeway inTracy, Ca. It was about 15 gallons. I figured: 1- alerting the fuel, or the pumps is illegal, 2- this place is always packed with people, how could it be true? 3- it's SO cheap!
I drove about 70 miles, and I noticed, I was consuming fuel faster than usual, but I ignored it. Yesterday, after it sat, it took me two attempts to start it. Again, I ignored it, assuming that I was just in a rush to start-up and go (maybe I released the start position prematurely). But on my way to my destination, the X had a rough idle, and did not want to take off. Today, same thing happened, plus, I threw a code. P0174- I was running too lean.
I looked up Safeway gas on the Web. I found that Safeway has a history of selling contaminated fuel to customers. And they have ruined a lot of vehicles.
I told my wife not to go there, but she said she already did, and half-a-tank of premium only got her 40 miles in her manual passat.
I called customer service, made a claim, and the store manager should be contacting me today. I'll keep you updated. Until I find out if this is a coincidence or not, you all should avoid Safeway gas stations.

Anyone know who supplies Safeway?
Also, assuming there actually is a problem with the fuel, after running about 150 miles, what parts would you replace? Thanks.
It's easy to tell if theres water in it. Just put some in a glass container or clear plastic bottle and let it sit for a half an hour. The gas will rise to the top since it's less dense than H2O and the water will seperate and sink to the bottom. Science is cool. :cool:

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I've said it on here before and I'll say it again... the cheapest gas isn't always the cheapest.

My X will consistantly get better mpg on top tier gas (citgo, mobil, exxon) in my area vs. BJs / Cosco or Stop and Shop.

So much better mpg that any "savings" I pay per gallon at the cheaper places is entirely negated. In fact, the "cheap" places cost me more.

The only exception is when we've saved up a ton of Stop and Shop points. To where its like 40 cents off a gallon. Then I'll put the cheap stuff in, cause it will be cheap enough to make up for the worse mpg.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So, I syphoned some gasoline out of the tank and let it sit for a while (thanks Surf and Snow for the science lesson). I found no water.
(Sunnyvale-X) I added Stabil and it smoothed out my idle for the most part. I'm still not sure if I have o2 issues on bank 2, so I'll ride out this tank, and see what happens next. The SM never called me back. I guess he doesn't really care about what his customers and what they think.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Wow Safeway doesn't sell gas here just like Walmart doesn't sell guns & ammo :(

but I do drive out of my way to fill with non-ethanol. My vehicles thank me:D

·
Registered
340 Posts
We try to only use Chevron here in NM. 6 vehicles all get better mileage (1 or 2 mpg)
when it's in the tank. Just sayin'....

·
on line
853 Posts
By the way, since I didn't see where anyone had mentioned it . . . I don't think you need to run premium gas in a 2005 Xterra. Unless maybe you added a supercharger along the way. Regular 87 octane should be fine.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts