Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
on line
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did my 30,000 mile service and while the truck was in the shop I had them install a new tensioner belt because of the noise that happens in cold weather starts. Now my engine has a quiet wine to it when I accelerate. Has anyone expirenced this when they had this done?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
My alternator whines. Maybe you have always had the whine but you never noticed it over the noisy belt?

BTW, just curious, what did they charge you to change the belt?

·
on line
707 Posts
I had the new tensioner and belt done at 29K miles a few months ago. After a bit of untruthfulness on the part of the service dept(my X wasn't part of the TSB) and my showing them otherwise they did mine for free under warranty. I haven't noticed a whine however.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
If all they did was the belt and not the tensioner, it should have been quick, easy and very little to screw up. Changing the belt on our X is as simple as I have ever seen.

·
on line
1,638 Posts
Supposedly the TSB only covers Xterras up to a certain point. I think its the first 2/3 or so of 2005, maybe a bit later than that. I am unfortunately a veteran when it comes to tensioner and belt associated noises from our engines.

·
on line
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was covered under warrenty and now I am wondering if they didn't fill my front diff to the proper fill level when they changed the fluids. I have read that people have heard a wine when the fluid level was low in the front diff. I love this site but sometimes it makes me paranoid to let anyone touch my truck at the dealerships.

·
on line
1 Posts
My 2006 OR started to whine @ 16,300. Sounded like a turbine. They replaced the Fan Belt Tensioner but the whine was still there. Took it back and had the techs check it again and they determined that it was one of the Timing Chain Tensioner. The whine was coming from the Timing Chain housing. They replaced both the tensioners and chains 6 days later I was back on the road. So beware of any turbine or whining sounds coming from the front of the motor..... Great Website Long time reader first time poster.

·
on line
31 Posts
I just had this replaced on my '05. It was quiet at first then became pregressively louder. It came to the point where it was the only thing you could hear.
The parts list was extensive, was in the shop for two full days. All covered under the warranty though.

·
on line
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys for the posts. I atleast have some bullets to take to the dealership now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts