Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just called this guy in Anahiem who does powdercoating to inquire about doing my wheels and he gave me a quote of 50.00 per wheel. This does not include sandblasting which should be an extra 10-15 bucks. How does this sound? My other alternative was to use heavy duty Rustoleum textured flat black paint which actually looks really nice. My manager buddy at ATC gave me a messed up polished wheel that resembles the 72 and i used the paint and it came out really nice. I also did the fingernail test to see if it would scratch off easily and i literally had to dig in to the paint with some force just to get it to mark up the surface. Even at that, it did not come off. I just dont know how it hold up to high heat generated by the brakes. Its supposed to be used to paint any outdoor metal furniture according to the label so i suppose bieng in the sun is no problem. Has anyone else used this stuff?? I want to powdercoat but right now i dont have the money and im also buying a new house so im kind of on a budget. PLease Help!!!

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Personally, I would go with Duplicolor's wheel paint. It is designed to not be affected by brake dust and can withstand heat. If it gets scratched up, just toss another coat on.

A buddy of mine did his Jeep wheels and they turned out great.

·
on line
266 Posts
I had a set of stock x steel wheels powdercoated gloss black

they dont have a scratch on them at all after nearly a year of upstate NY winter, off road trips (no rock crawling) and anything else normally encountered by wheels.

i dont have experience with duplicolor wheel paint or any other spray paint on wheels, but i can tell you if you get your wheels powder coated you wont be disappointed in the quality (assuming it's done right).

·
on line
111 Posts
I did the Duplicolor paint thing to my old Integra. The paint held up for the 3 years I had it. When I sold it, there wasn't any damage to the paint at all. Of course it was never put off road

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Realistically, the only thing I worry about with my painted wheels is sun-fading. So far I haven't noticed any.

As far as scratches and chips go, the truck bed liner would be far more easy to touch up than standard paint. The bed liner texture would hide the uneven surfaces.

I off-road almost every weekend and still haven't gotten any scratches or chips.

·
on line
1,667 Posts
xterra3100 said:
I just called this guy in Anahiem who does powdercoating to inquire about doing my wheels and he gave me a quote of 50.00 per wheel. This does not include sandblasting which should be an extra 10-15 bucks. How does this sound? My other alternative was to use heavy duty Rustoleum textured flat black paint which actually looks really nice. My manager buddy at ATC gave me a messed up polished wheel that resembles the 72 and i used the paint and it came out really nice. I also did the fingernail test to see if it would scratch off easily and i literally had to dig in to the paint with some force just to get it to mark up the surface. Even at that, it did not come off. I just dont know how it hold up to high heat generated by the brakes. Its supposed to be used to paint any outdoor metal furniture according to the label so i suppose bieng in the sun is no problem. Has anyone else used this stuff?? I want to powdercoat but right now i dont have the money and im also buying a new house so im kind of on a budget. PLease Help!!!
i just had my 5 spoke S rims done for $60 a wheel. I had them sand-blasted, zinc plated, powercoated a color close to midnight armor, and then clear-coated.
try to talk your supplier into giving you a deal because he most likely is pocketing the cash.

·
on line
1,667 Posts
mcampana said:
So matrix......wheres the fricking pictures dude!?!
i kinda need a camera, plus, im waiting for a replacement rear axle.

·
on line
463 Posts
Hey 3100 !
That thread is for Brian who has been out with SCCX. He says the job came out good !
I used RustOLeum on the steel wheels of my X,,,works fine !
I spent that same amount, 75.00 per wheel, when they powder-coated my alloy wheels.
Now,,,,if you plan on using these wheels off-road,,then I would DEFINITELY, rattle-can them !
That way when they take a hit, And, you know they will, you can re-paint and go on your merry way without any serious grief !

However, Black is the correct color for the wheels.
Jim B

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Jim. The paint is holding up fine as of right now. I have not wheeled with them and im anticipating the repaint as soon as i do but like you stated, its not gonna kill me cause i can just touch it up. I really want to go the powdercoat way but that can wait.

·
on line
463 Posts
Personally, I'm proud to see so many of you,,,,,,,,painting the wheels black !

Jim B

1 - 20 of 24 Posts