Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, now that winter is almost over I've been doing a lot of work under the x again. I have discovered that the outside edge of all the rotors is very rusted (not the braking surface). Is this something I should be concerned about or is it just cosmetic. It's got close to 100k on it of montana winter driving. Brakes function perfectly with no squeals.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
normal.
you might notice the rust on the top edge or bottom edge (uhhhhh...to be as clear as possible, the rust on the top/bottom of the shiny part) creep up and start digging slightly (~1 or 2 mm or so) into the top or bottom edge of your brake pad. Not an issue IMO.

·
on line
2,044 Posts
you can buy some metal brushes from home depot and a mask!!! and scrup it down , tape the brake contact area and spray some rustoleum to keep it from rusting again.

i scrubbed my calipers and painted them with caliper brake paint... they still look good and no rust spots.

·
on line
2,243 Posts
Normal. I wouldn't waste time or money trying to paint it. They get way too hot for even high heat paint to live. And there is too much risk of contaminating the brake pads by accident.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts