Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Read Only
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read posts from guys that have run wires for lights from the rear hatch, under the headliner, all the way to the front of the truck. I looked at the pictures and know where to start passing the wire, but my problem was getting from the opening in the hatch (grommet removed) to under the headliner. I tried feeding a cable snake thru the hole, but couldn't get it to go in between the headliner and the roof. Not sure where it was going, but couldn't see it with the hooks in the ceiling removed and the weather stripping pulled away at the doors. I even tried to feed the snake from inside the cargo area back towards the hatch starting where I removed the ceiling hook. Couldn't get the snake to come out where the grommet was removed. Any ideas, tips for getting the wire started? I figured by using a snake it would be a snap, but I ended up getting it snagged somewhere and was never able to find it to hitch my wire onto for the pull thru.

·
on line
280 Posts
I pulled the weather stripping away slightly at the area of the grommet, which left a gap between the headliner and the roof. I used 2 small screwdrivers to reach into the gap and pull the wire out. I then ran the wire to the right corner of the headliner. At the corner, where it meets the plastic pillar, I tucked the wire between the plastic and the headliner. You can gently push the headliner away from the plastic and tuck the wire in nicely. I then ran the wire down the headliner, over the right rear window and both right side doors. When going over the doors it tucks easily into the weather strip. Once I reached the front, I ran the wire down the pillar and under the dash.

Hope this helps.

·
on line
10,133 Posts
Did you pull the plastic off at the rear inside corner of the truck? The lighter colored plastic that runs from the ceiling to the bottom of the rear side window. That will give you a clearer view to snake your wire through. There also a nice grounding location behind that plastic piece.

·
Read Only
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gave up for the evening. I'll try tackling it again the next day that I have some daylight left when I home. I'm working 25 out of the next 26 straight days, so not sure if I'll even be in a mood to do anything but eat and sleep when I get home. I'll definitely try peeling that plastic piece off next time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts