Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
on line
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have photo's or HOW To? run a hot wire, from engine battery through the wall to the inside? under the dash for switch? is there any rubber spots to sneak wires inside?

oh yea??
How, to add switch to the panel, in replace of the blanks. They just pop out. Will need to locate new one for its place..

Okay, its a new rig, do not want be poking holes into the Virgin truck so soon. must be gentle with the new man toy!!!.. :)

·
on line
660 Posts
Did you check out the how-to section? Lots of info in there...

http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1444

There are plenty of rubber spots to get wires in, but it looks cleanest and is best if you do it right the first time. Drill a hole in the firewall, use a grommet to properly isolate the wire from the sheet metal. A little silicone and wire loom and it'll look like it came from the factory that way.

The switch panel is pretty easy to fabricate, especially if you have a dremel. You can cut off just enough of the blank and fit any switch you can probably find. I think these (http://bluesea.com/category/4/productline/overview/147) are said to be a complete replacement that fit nice.

·
on line
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ah thanks.. I looked in that How to's.. did not look hard enough.

Thanks, will look for a spot & drill a hole into the firewall.. Or seek a rubber spot.. want it clean.. & safe.

Cool, that sounds easy... will take blank & find switch that will fit.

Thanks... now just have to wait for parts to show up next week... drats..

·
on line
10,133 Posts
DON"T DRILL a hole...there's already one there. Where Paul show's it in the how-to posted above. It's located behind the brake booster. Pop out the solid rubber and put in a grommet with some silicon.

In terms of switches and placement, you can move your VDC switch over by the mirror controls and that will give you 4 empty slots by the 4wd controls.

you can get the switches at
http://www.4x4mods.com/Product/Jeep/Rockerswitches/rockerswitch40.html
they're a perfect fit.

Oh, and you could've found all of this with a quick search, but i'm feelin nice.

·
on line
1,739 Posts

You want a fuse mounted as close as possible to the source.

I went along the back of the firewall where Nissan ran most of their wires.

Through the large rubber gromet near the brake booster - this was empty.

Pull the plastic panel off under the steering wheel.

Mount the swtiches after removing the plugs.

Fuse box mounted.

Switches in place.

Holes in the roof!

Finished project.

·
on line
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WOW... those are great... I Did see the posting on the Switches... those really nice with the LED lights.

the photo's helped big time.. now get to find out what the heck the fuse thing is off the Battery. Never seen that before. Shesh modern cars, dang near like a puter.

I need to figure out the search button to find things..

THANk's guys... Helped allot.

·
on line
197 Posts
Chug said:
WOW... those are great... I Did see the posting on the Switches... those really nice with the LED lights.

the photo's helped big time.. now get to find out what the heck the fuse thing is off the Battery. Never seen that before. Shesh modern cars, dang near like a puter.

I need to figure out the search button to find things..

THANk's guys... Helped allot.
Red Box at the top is the mullti-connector off of the Batt +. Only 1 terminal ring point does NOT go through a fusible link of some type, 'To Starter'. This is where you want to tap in at. There are 2 other terminal ring points, that come off of a fusible link...bad.

Paul can probably elaborate/verify which ring terminal post he's tapped from...assuming it's T5 (solid red terminal in jpg). I liked his 'Port Quarter Panel' ref...surprised he didn't call the firewall a 'bulkhead'... ;-)

·
on line
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dang. have to be electrian to figure this stuff out... No just wrapping red wire around the POS post of battery,, Run wire into cab to switch.

yikes, now have to becarefull what spot to plug into.. There goes drilling the top of the post with Set screw... drats.

Impressive wire & photo's... makes a man drool... ( I need a beer now )

Thanks.. printing all this out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts