Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
07 Xterra Off Road, AT with 102k miles. Recently started running very rough. Worse than a misfire and shaking very badly, feeling as if it will die at any moment. Had P0021 camshaft position timing over & P0300 random misfire codes; engine was very hot but oil temp was normal. It was also 2.5 qts low on oil. The truck has never burned oil and couldn’t find any signs of leakage. (Recently did an oil change with Mobil 1 EP.) I had it towed home and have had it parked ever since (5/3).

I did an oil change [it was black even with 2.5 qts of oil added (on 5/3) and not driven] and added Sea Foam to the engine and gas tank. Idles much better than before but still rough. *Because it is running rough and I’m freaked out about how low the oil was, I don’t want to drive it so I have only started it a handful of times and let it idle. New codes P0300 & P0303. Changed the coil packs #’s 1, 3 & 5 because I just changed all the plugs on 1/25 & 2k miles ago as well as coil packs on bank 2. I replaced IVTC solenoid on bank 2 and got a P0081 code so I put the original back in (I checked the resistance and got 7.7 ohms. New ones and original all checked within specs.) Pulled plug #3 and it was black. I put plug #4 into 3 and put the new plug into #4 (plug from 4 looked like a new plug). Now getting P0300 code and flashing CE light.

I have read up on past posts regarding similar symptoms but haven’t seen a common issue. (For the record, I haven’t done the timing chain guide replacement yet and I know I need to because the sound has gotten louder recently. I realize if it jumped, it could cause issues but haven’t heard any issues other than noise with the timing chain guides?) Without guidance, I plan to do: accelerator, throttle body and idle air relearning, clean the MAF sensor, check for vacuum leaks again, change air filter even though it looks good, check and/or change camshaft and crankshaft position sensors, fuel filter, fuel injectors … Does anyone have any thoughts … please?

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
i'd def start with replacing the sensors that are bad. how about the cats, have you had any cat codes? they can cause issues with oil burn if left for too long in a failing state.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i'd def start with replacing the sensors that are bad. how about the cats, have you had any cat codes? they can cause issues with oil burn if left for too long in a failing state.
The only code I ever got was for my downstream sensor P0430 and that was a year ago. Because it's downstream, I haven't done anything with it and the code went away when I changed my plugs (it came with a P0301). As far as the sensors, there are no codes other than P0300. Since I need to remove them to check, that's where I am at this point. Those are relatively easier to access and not as costly but I don't want to just throw money at it especially if it turns out to be something major.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts