Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been planning on adding at least one more add a leaf to my stock pack (currently running one Deaver) so that I can increase weight carry and lift, So I called Nisstec for a quote and they said they would never recommend doing more than one AAL at a time and tried to push me towards a whole new leaf pack.

The reality is that I’m not dropping $500-1000 for a new pack, and it’s not difficult to pull the pack apart and add another leaf.

Has anyone else been scared away from adding multiple AAL’s? Do you know of any reason it could be problematic to have more than one AAL per leaf pack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
743 Posts
They do make 2 leaf AAL packs you might want to look at.
I’m not sure I’d want to stack 2 single aal that are the same length and radius. Usually leafs are designed so they progressively get shorter as you get to the bottom. Not sure you can find 2 single aal that fit that and work with the x.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
The reality is that I’m not dropping $500-1000 for a new pack, and it’s not difficult to pull the pack apart and add another leaf.
Would you pay $280- $400?

2005 - 2016 Nissan Xterra 4x4 rear leaf spring, 4(3/1) leaf
SKU: 69-293

$139.99 per

2005 - 2016 Nissan Xterra 4x4 heavy duty rear leaf spring, 4(3/1) leaf
SKU: 69-293HD

$199.99 per

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would you pay $280- $400?

2005 - 2016 Nissan Xterra 4x4 rear leaf spring, 4(3/1) leaf
SKU: 69-293

$139.99 per

2005 - 2016 Nissan Xterra 4x4 heavy duty rear leaf spring, 4(3/1) leaf
SKU: 69-293HD

$199.99 per

Going to look into this

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Has anyone else been scared away from adding multiple AAL’s? Do you know of any reason it could be problematic to have more than one AAL per leaf pack?

I bought an Xterra with a 2 leaf AAL and I hated it more than anything I've ever hated. Well, almost. It was bad. Zero travel, rode like a dump truck and moderate bumps at speed would make the rear end squirrely. But I have no idea what brand it was or anything about it, so take what I say with a grain of salt. I replaced it with '15 Pro4x springs, returning it to stock height, and it was a million times better. I'll give you those springs for free if you want them.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Leaf springs are designed to work within specific load ranges depending on their intended application. This means the the leaf pack will perform/articulate/flex effectively as long as it is within the load range it was designed for. Some AAL kits are designed to help compensate for wear and decrease in performance of certain leaf packs (like are stock packs) and add a little bit of lift without sacrificing performance too much. If you just keep adding more and more leafs you are increasing the load capacity of the pack. If the truck weight stays the same then you have a leaf pack that is too stiff for the truck. This means less articulations/flex and handling, hence why it feels like driving a dump truck with no weight in the back. Just like when you use front coilovers that are rated for a higher load capacity. You get the lift, but it rides like poop.

This is why companies like Nisstec recommend you buy a pack that is designed for the amount of lift you need, but most importantly, the amount of load the truck will carry while staying at the desired ride height. This makes a massive difference in performance and on road and off road handling.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Leaf springs are designed to work within specific load ranges depending on their intended application. This means the the leaf pack will perform/articulate/flex effectively as long as it is within the load range it was designed for. Some AAL kits are designed to help compensate for wear and decrease in performance of certain leaf packs (like are stock packs) and add a little bit of lift without sacrificing performance too much. If you just keep adding more and more leafs you are increasing the load capacity of the pack. If the truck weight stays the same then you have a leaf pack that is too stiff for the truck. This means less articulations/flex and handling, hence why it feels like driving a dump truck with no weight in the back. Just like when you use front coilovers that are rated for a higher load capacity. You get the lift, but it rides like poop.

This is why companies like Nisstec recommend you buy a pack that is designed for the amount of lift you need, but most importantly, the amount of load the truck will carry while staying at the desired ride height. This makes a massive difference in performance and on road and off road handling.
All of that makes perfect sense. But going back to what Nisstec said, I don’t believe two add a leafs are going to ruin the ride. Especially considering that the ride was drastically improved when I added the first one.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I don’t believe two add a leafs are going to ruin the ride.
lol, re-read my post. If you just think about it, adding additional leaves only makes the spring rate higher. Higher spring rate = rougher ride. Buying new leaf packs with an increased arch, but same or similar spring rate will give you a lift without sacrificing ride quality. But what do I know.

It's well known in the 4x4 community that AAL's are only good for those looking to haul a lot of weight. Adding an AAL just for the look of a lift will result in a worse ride. There's no discussion. But it's cheap, so people ignore common sense and go for it, then complain about a terrible ride.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol, re-read my post. If you just think about it, adding additional leaves only makes the spring rate higher. Higher spring rate = rougher ride. Buying new leaf packs with an increased arch, but same or similar spring rate will give you a lift without sacrificing ride quality. But what do I know.

It's well known in the 4x4 community that AAL's are only good for those looking to haul a lot of weight. Adding an AAL just for the look of a lift will result in a worse ride. There's no discussion. But it's cheap, so people ignore common sense and go for it, then complain about a terrible ride.
My experience has been different, the add a leaf improved my ride. It wasn’t added for looks, it was added for height to clear larger tires and additional weight carry, all function. It also reduced body roll in corners.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
My experience has been different, the add a leaf improved my ride. It wasn’t added for looks, it was added for height to clear larger tires and additional weight carry, all function. It also reduced body roll in corners.

I mean, you asked for experience with multiple AAL's, so I'm not sure why you'd argue. That's great that you had success with a single AAL, but you need to consider the 2nd AAL and how much that will affect it. Again, I'm nowhere near an expert - I'm just sharing my experience (like you asked for). A single AAL has mixed results. A double AAL is not popular at all, not even close, so consider that. But what do I know.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I mean, you asked for experience with multiple AAL's, so I'm not sure why you'd argue. That's great that you had success with a single AAL, but you need to consider the 2nd AAL and how much that will affect it. Again, I'm nowhere near an expert - I'm just sharing my experience (like you asked for). A single AAL has mixed results. A double AAL is not popular at all, not even close, so consider that. But what do I know.
I’m not arguing. I can see how you see it that way though because sometimes I read threads and think “man these guys are really getting after it” but in reality they probably think they are just having a conversation (which is what I’m thinking). This is the problem with threads - it’s hard to tell intent.

Regardless I appreciate everyone’s feedback

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I think the issue with a double AAL is that the AAL is the bottom spring - so basically its an overload spring. So adding a double is simply beefing up your overload but not the spring rate that much. Think of it this way. Leaf springs are progressive. The more you compress, the more leafs come into play, with the AAL coming in to play when its most compressed. I realize this is very simplified because the leafs are arched together and are always in play, but the progressiveness of the pack is not too far from what I described.

Years ago I had an old F150 I wanted to haul a lot more in (Ford 9 inch diff - I wasn't worried about the load). So I found an old leaf pack from the same thing and took the second from top main leaf out and added it to my pack - so I had the main leaf with the bolts then 2 the same size below it then the rest of the pack. It actually worked great. I have no idea if it would on the X, because the springs are so short. However I have thought about doing this with my X, but given my main leaf is now 11 years old with 370,000 miles I think I will in fact get new springs.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think the issue with a double AAL is that the AAL is the bottom spring - so basically its an overload spring. So adding a double is simply beefing up your overload but not the spring rate that much. Think of it this way. Leaf springs are progressive. The more you compress, the more leafs come into play, with the AAL coming in to play when its most compressed. I realize this is very simplified because the leafs are arched together and are always in play, but the progressiveness of the pack is not too far from what I described.

Years ago I had an old F150 I wanted to haul a lot more in (Ford 9 inch diff - I wasn't worried about the load). So I found an old leaf pack from the same thing and took the second from top main leaf out and added it to my pack - so I had the main leaf with the bolts then 2 the same size below it then the rest of the pack. It actually worked great. I have no idea if it would on the X, because the springs are so short. However I have thought about doing this with my X, but given my main leaf is now 11 years old with 370,000 miles I think I will in fact get new springs.
I was reading about some guys with pickups doing the same thing you mentioned and that makes a lot of sense.

I might try it out, just need to snag a pack off a junker.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Just for your information, I've been trying to GIVE AWAY a set of double AAL rear springs and haven't had a single taker. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
There's also a difference between a dual AAL, and simply adding an additional AAL to a single ALL. Its a matter being designed to work together, progressively... vs two very stiff "overloads" riding like a brick.
I'm not sure ya'll are all referencing the same type of setup or not.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I like my 3 leaf AAL. It does seem more progressive than the dual as the leaves are longer. I like the idea of just adding a longer leaf in the pack though.
So the three leaf pack has been pretty good? I was reading about someone’s experience with it and he said the ride was better than even a single add.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dual AAL sure.... two single AAL's on top of each other... NOPE.

Your rig, your way.
Based on all the feedback from everyone I agree. I didn’t know that they made the double and triple packs that can be added until I started this thread.

I also didn’t know that some people say “Add A Leaf”, but what they really did was pull a leaf out of another XTERRA leaf pack and add it to their existing one, which apparently can be pretty effective. So not an “Add A Leaf”, but instead adding a leaf.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Based on all the feedback from everyone I agree. I didn’t know that they made the double and triple packs that can be added until I started this thread.

I also didn’t know that some people say “Add A Leaf”, but what they really did was pull a leaf out of another XTERRA leaf pack and add it to their existing one, which apparently can be pretty effective. So not an “Add A Leaf”, but instead adding a leaf.

Where are you located? If you're close to me (OR) contact me. I have a set of leaf springs from my 2011 Pro4X with about 58000 on them. In good shape and will sell cheap. I replaced them with Alcan leafs.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts