Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if it would be ok to go ahead and buy 4x 285/75/16 Duratracs and keep the stock spare? If I were ever to get a flat, my first priority would be getting it fixed, so I wouldn't be riding on the 31 for long. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
With the anti-slip breaking thing, I forget the correct term, we have on the X to stop tires from spinning this does not work. Your X will think that you have lost traction on that wheel because it will spin faster than the rest and keep putting the brake on to slow it down. You might get to a place to get the new tire fixed, but you might need to replace your brakes at the same time.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Just don't ride on the spare for too long. I was recently running that setup until I could afford my fifth 33" - I actually had to use the spare after a key popped my driver rear. I set the spare up on my passenger front side (since it's the tire that travels the least) and rotated that wheel to driver rear (as if I were doing a tire rotation) until it was fixed.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I ran that way for a while and eventually found a used 285 on Craig's list for $40 - a Hankook MT with about 25% tread left. Fine for a spare. Once i swapped it out i sold the still new spare on CL as well.

Took a few weeks to find a single 285, but there are some bargains if you're patient.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
2,362 Posts
It will work. Won't harm anything. Probably going to drive weird and throw the ABS/VDC systems into a hissy fit (they will get over it).

·
Registered
546 Posts
I upgraded to 32's and went ahead and replaced the spare with a 32 as well a few weeks later.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Just for some perspective, many other cars come with smaller-than-stock-size doughnuts (though granted, they usually match in diameter if not width). It's not like OP is going to be driving around on three 33s and a 31 for the next few months, he has all four tires. Now, OP could be lucky like me and have a 33 go bust within a month of purchase, or it could be an entire year or more before he needs to put a spare on (by the way, the SE spare is 30.5!"). And even if he needs to use the 31, it would only be for a day or so until the tire that it replaced is repaired.

All four wheels spin at different speeds when the vehicle is turning. That's why we have differentials and tire rotations. In my case, I put the 31" spare on the inactive axle on the side where the tire travels the least distance in day-to-day driving, expecting that it wouldn't throw the computer off that much. Basically, during the time I was driving on the spare (about 20 miles) the amount of wheel travel on the front probably amounted to a perpetual tight right turn. I was able to drive out of Boston and onto a short stretch of highway with no idiot lights, make the trip back home, and do it again in the morning when my new tire shipped.

·
Registered
672 Posts
On previous vehicles with a donut instead of a full size spare, manual recommended to place the donut on the rear axle and limit speed to no more than 50 mph. You should be fine if you do the same.

·
on line
685 Posts
The VDC traction/stability system will disable itself. When it sees that the steering-wheel is straight and you have one wheel spinning slower than the rest, the VDC light will come on telling the driver that it has disabled itself if the 31" tire is too far out of speed/sync of the rest of your tires and you're fine to keep on driving. If the VDC does NOT detect a problem and disable itself, it is highly likely that sharp turns at higher speeds will prematurely set off the VDC system attempting to correct your driving, so be prepared and don't be alarmed when you feel the system kick in.

With one tire smaller than the rest, never engage 4x4 on hard pavement/concrete unless it's snowy and slippery everywhere you are driving, off-road driving should be perfectly fine enough to engage 4x4/4Lo/locker on just your obstacles that you need it enabled.

·
on line
3,285 Posts
I don't know why people are so proud of being able to run with mismatched tires. This is something that $20-$30 at the local llantera (Mexican tire shop) can cure without a problem. Pack a lunch for a few days, and you've got the money to buy a used 285.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I don't know why people are so proud of being able to run with mismatched tires. This is something that $20-$30 at the local llantera (Mexican tire shop) can cure without a problem. Pack a lunch for a few days, and you've got the money to buy a used 285.
I don't think it is a matter of pride keeping anyone from a full size spare, it is a matter of money. But I do agree that buying a cheap used tire for a spare is a viable solution to this problem.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I ended up buying my 33" spare from a member here, after not finding one for way too long locally. I was lucky, I had to fix one tire, but I carry a plug kit at all times. I had a patch put in the next day. A 31" will be ok, but get the real tire fixed quickly.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I'd take the time and put the spare on the front even if a rear go's. Shouldn't matter if you're not in 4WD.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
901 Posts
Space is also an issue with an undersized spare. The stock location will only take a 265 with the hitch and a 285 without. To hold a bigger tire you may have to fork out for a +$500 bumper w/ tire carrier. It's not just a $20-$30 issue.

·
Registered
7,713 Posts
I was wondering if it would be ok to go ahead and buy 4x 285/75/16 Duratracs and keep the stock spare? If I were ever to get a flat, my first priority would be getting it fixed, so I wouldn't be riding on the 31 for long. Thanks!
I've got a MTZ that has some life left that would work fine for a spare if you want it. Pay shipping and its yours.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts