Weekend warrior / Shade tree mechanics rules and mysteries. Please add you own.
1. When wrenching on your car, screws, nuts, and or bolts will either leave your work area through some space time continuum or multiply when you are not around. We have all tried different solution from magnetic trays, coffee cans, even labeled baggies. Sorry to report this does not work.
2. 10mm sockets don’t follow laws of science. They will create a micro black hole leave this universe, sometimes even taking other nearby tools or parts with them. This can take only a split second.
3. Metric sockets and wrenches can change sizes even place of origin. My metic sockets spent so much time in America they are changing to SAE. I now have two 7/16 sockets and no 10mm
3. The screws, nuts, and bolts you find at the edge of you driveway in a flower bed or grass do not fit anything you own. This can be true for randomly found screws and bolts in your garage too.
4. If the part your wrenching on came off nice and easy, the new part will be a complete pain in the bumper to put back on, or just wont fit.
5. The push in type fasteners (think fan shroud) will never come out in a condition you can use them again and the auto parts store only sell 20 types that don’t fit any vehicle ever made.
6. Any tool can randomly disappear and reappear in the very spot you left it. Sometimes it can take minutes, hours, or days for the tools to reappear. Beer seems to make this happen more often and speed up the reappearance. This does not apply to 10mm sockets, see rule #2
7. The cosmos knows what tool you need and makes sure it is the only one you can’t find.
8. Working on cars/trucks/Jeeps is the only activity that we: curse in anger, throw stuff, injure ourselves, and swear we are enjoying ourselves.
Correction, Wrenching or being a Bengals or Browns fan.
9. If you replace a part and test it before installing it , it will work. Once final re-assembly is complete, it won’t work and you will have start over.
10. ??? What’s your 10, or 10-15?