Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings all,
I recently installed the RuggedRocks.com hi output alternator by DC Power for the GenII. This is an amazing piece of gear with an impressive case made out of a single piece of aluminum.
I've been waiting for another option, in alternators, than what's currently available because of questionable reliability and customer service.
Rugged Rocks and DC Power has come to the table with a completely new design. DC Power makes units found on many Ultra-4 and Baja race rigs. The design is made to chew through dirt, sand, mud and rocks. It's even capable of running completely submerged in water.

The first thing you'll notice is the awesome aluminum case in ,signature, Rugged Rocks Orange. The OE alternator is a pain to remove but patients is your allie.
One thing you'll notice is the OE device uses a 3 pin harness and the RR version uses a harness converting it to a 2 wire set up. This is by design and is not a mistake. The OE device also uses a 12mm bolt to connect the power wire where the RR one uses a 10mm bolt. The output bolt on the RR unit is located a bit lower than on the OE one. Bending the vehicles ring terminal from a 90deg bend to a straight connection helps get everything bottoned up.

Once it's installed a quick look let's you know everything is all lined up with the other pulleys.

Once you get this all on, your in business.

Upon initial readings, this is generating an entire volt over the OE one I removed.

Over all, I'm extremely happy with this unit. Upon initial tests, my ARB dual pump compressor runs with a strong hum and and seams to cycle/run faster than it has.
For more information on this bad boy feel free to post up or give Steevo a ring over at www.ruggedrocks.com.

·
Registered
630 Posts
https://www.dcpowerinc.com/high-output-alternators.html?make=Nissan&model=Xterra&year=2005&engine=4.0L+V6+VQ40DE

Cause they are rediculously expensive.
180 is pleeeenty for a trail/overland rig with 2 batteries.
Yep they are pricey, but with a 270amp alternator, you don't need two batteries ;)

A good blue top and it, and you will have all the power you need ;)

But since you already have two batteries, the 180 will do you just fine ;)

Looks sweet, and yes to bad they put the alternator on the bottom

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Too bad nissan mounted it on the bottom where you cant see it.
If your willing to rip out your fender liners, or have it done for you on the trail, you get to look at it all you want.
A body lift will also make this easier to see....
....just more ways to spend some cash!

·
Registered
831 Posts
No concerns with running 1 volt over what OEM was? I'm kind of surprised that it runs a volt over being that the ECU is what 'controls' the voltage output of the alternator (as I understand it - though I'm probably wrong")). Is the higher voltage meant for keeping AGM batteries happy?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What is the factory specs?

And this looks awesome. Just another thing to add to Leeloos list of stuffs.
The OE alternator has a max output of 110amps.
This guy cranks out 180amps max but the real benefit is 130amps @ idle.
This means this fella has nearly 20% more power at idle than the OE alternator running full steam.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
No concerns with running 1 volt over what OEM was? I'm kind of surprised that it runs a volt over being that the ECU is what 'controls' the voltage output of the alternator (as I understand it - though I'm probably wrong")). Is the higher voltage meant for keeping AGM batteries happy?
13.5-14.5 is about average for a an alternator with good lungs. Maybe mine was on the way out and started to dip.
AGM batteries are happiest getting 14-15 volts. Any more than that and you'll boil the fluid and blow the relief valves.

·
Super Moderator
4,166 Posts
The OE alternator has a max output of 110amps.
This guy cranks out 180amps max but the real benefit is 130amps @ idle.
This means this fella has nearly 20% more power at idle than the OE alternator running full steam.
Has anyone checked to see how this alternator matches up with the power requirements of a Premier Power Welder? Premier Power Welder high-frequency on board vehicle welders, high-amp alternators, battery clamps, charging systems, Ready Welder

Premier Power Welder offers specially wound alternators with outputs ranging from 165-190 amps, but nothing for the Xterra. Their literature suggests that welding operations can be performed with the engine running at just over idle, but I can't find the output ratings for their alternators at anything other than maximum output at unknown rpm.

If well matched, a Rugged Rocks alternator might open the door for equipping an Xterra with an onboard welder for field repairs (hint, hint, ChrisHaynesUSA).

·
Same Country as Bucksnort
14,613 Posts
Yep they are pricey, but with a 270amp alternator, you don't need two batteries ;)

You always need two batteries for overlanding.
The amount of amperes out of the alternator does not obviate the need for two. You have two because batteries fail.
IMHO the output needs to be directly proportional to the amount of current draw from all of your accessories....... i.e. Winch, air compressors, Lights,refrigerators, stereo, comms, etc.....

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
All you need to weld on the trail is a dual battery set up and 2 sets of jumper cables.
Batteries will be disconnected from the vehicle and in parallel (with one set of cables). With a pair of strong batteries this will give you the amps you need. + jumper cable connected to one battery and - terminal connected to the other negative on the other battery. Other end of - jumper cable connected to the ground of the object being welded and + holding a welding rod. BAM! You got yourself a bush welder.
Just need to make short passes and monitor you batteries from getting too warm.
This alternator will allow the batteries to recover faster and properly.

·
Premium Member
22,508 Posts

You always need two batteries for overlanding.
The amount of amperes out of the alternator does not obviate the need for two. You have two because batteries fail.
IMHO the output needs to be directly proportional to the amount of current draw from all of your accessories....... i.e. Winch, air compressors, Lights,refrigerators, stereo, comms, etc.....
Negative TGC. The rig isn't running nonstop when I camp. When it's not running the alternator being 180A or 270A doesn't mean anything. The fridge, power inverter, lights, stereo are all running of battery reserve. Thus putting in the alternator or even a 270A alternator, they do nothing to remove the need for two batteries when over landing.

·
Super Moderator
4,166 Posts
When I was offroading in jeeps I used to carry welding goggles, leather gloves and some welding rods protected in a piece of PVC pipe. It allowed for some ugly but serviceable welds, but nothing I would trust after a catastrophic failure such as the one suffered by Chris Haynes in November when his trailer tongue snapped off in Death Valley. Fortunately a jeeper came along equipped with a Premier Power Welder who was able to save the day.

1 - 20 of 238 Posts