Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, this is the first time I've posted since the site went down temporarily. I can't believe how many posts I lost... forever.

My club just got back from Lake Tahoe over the weekend, having barely survived the Rubicon Trail.

The trail is crazy. No picture can really do it justice. You gotta see it for yourself at least once.

The X got a mix of responses. Before I even hit the trail a lot of people were smirking and making comments like, "good luck with that thing."

By the time I hit Buck Island Lake, I hadn't even picked up a paint scratch, which impressed at least a couple of guys. Also got a few dirty looks from people who thought I shouldn't be there with a rig like that.

The "no-paint-scratch" thing changed, of course. Picked up a paint scratch while coming down Big Sluice (off-camber situation, leaning against the tree). I ran out of patience and kept on the throttle while coming up Cadillac Hill and picked up a pretty good passenger door scrape about 8 inches long while cutting through the "V-Rock".

Overall impressions? The wheelbase (without a HUGE lift and tires) is really a killer. There are really some tight turns you have to negotiate, and a lot of big, V-shaped rocks. The crappy breakover angle equates to a lot more time on your rock rails, frame rails and skid plates. And obviously the IFS doesn't really help things.

But that being said, the X still performed like a champ. Clutch heated up pretty good a few times. I've gotten a lot better about staying off the clutch in 4 low and just feathering the throttle. But there are some points on this trail where you have to be slow and precise and you can't help but ride the clutch a little. Some T/C gears would certainly help.

I've got some pretty good scrapes on the undercarriage. I mangled my rear sway bar brackets (even though the sway bar is gone) and bent my rear shock mount brackets pretty good. I've definitely got some work to do with some pliers, grinder and a rattle can...

Here's our pics. Enjoy.

http://www.geocities.com/eddygris77/rubicon.htm

EDIT: (SEPTEMBER 4TH): I finally had some time to go through the rest of my pics. Here are some more shots of just the X (no Jeeps), which I'm sure you guys will appreciate. Enjoy...

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Very impressive.

Kudos to you for putting your X on such a formidable, and lengthy trail.

·
on line
4,594 Posts
Niiiice!

Amen to that!

Gives me a little hope. I'd like to try that trail someday.

How do you have your Hi-lift mounted to the stock roof rack?

·
on line
564 Posts
Awesome pics!

Rob

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
XKNUT said:
Niiiice!

Amen to that!

Gives me a little hope. I'd like to try that trail someday.

How do you have your Hi-lift mounted to the stock roof rack?
With some modified Yakima X-Tower Mounts. I don't think the parts are available anymore. I'd post a link to my old thread, but I'm not even sure that's available anymore. I'll check.

Make sure you guys check back in a couple days. I've got a few more pics to add the website and I'm going to do a "Carnage List" with damage descriptions for each vehicle. Should be amusing.

·
on line
500 Posts
Re: Rubicon Trail: August 13-15

OregonX said:
The trail is crazy. No picture can really do it justice. You gotta see it for yourself at least once.
Wow, I'm scared just I looking at the pictures... "Crazy" is an understatement. Great report... can't wait for the rest.

Many Thanks
Patrick

·
on line
1,340 Posts
Nice pic's.

·
on line
975 Posts
Very nice!!

·
on line
123 Posts
That's pretty gnarly. kudos to your large juevos for taking the X on the Rubicon.

·
on line
1,208 Posts
Those are some SWEET photos dude!!!

·
on line
106 Posts
Great trip and pics. What would you to do to the X so it would be more Rubicon trail ready?

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OBXOFFROADER18 said:
Great trip and pics. What would you to do to the X so it would be more Rubicon trail ready?
I won't go back without a SAS and 36's, at the very least.

Not sure if that will ever happen or not. Maybe 5+ years down the road (assuming the trail is still open). If I did go back, I'd run it in reverse.

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Hey Oregon, are you locked? It says on your website that you only have an S. If you werent locked, id say thats pretty damn impressive for the X to have done the Rubicon with just an open diff or what nissan refers to as ABLS

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
xterra3100 said:
Hey Oregon, are you locked? It says on your website that you only have an S. If you werent locked, id say thats pretty damn impressive for the X to have done the Rubicon with just an open diff or what nissan refers to as ABLS
No locker. It is just an S model.

The ABLS got me out of a couple jams, but I (well... everybody) did some rock stacking and had to get winched a couple of times. :thumbleft:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts