Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
January 2007 - Back in the black..... 1 month into ownership, the best snow this Xterra has seen

February 2007 - Just a month later, spent the night there. It never looks bad going in, but there was a 5ft snow base underneath.
No Chains, no recovery gear, no food, little water, less than 1/4 tank of gas.... waited til 5am for Land Cruiser recovery, a friend, whom I directed to go a wrong way...

May, when the bees built a new nest

and how they left it

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
April camping

and crystals forming

June - The tallest bank at 13,000 ft

and a little higher

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Oh man.. that bee nest pic is crazy! Never seen something like that before. Does the X sit there for quite some time in order for the bees to even build a nest there?

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It happened over a period of 24 hours, backed into a grassy divider in apartment building parking lot in Denver suburb (Lone Tree).
I called the police, they suggested exterminator, no help, yet 5 police cars showed up to see it.

I put an ad up on Craigslist, free beehive, free delivery, a bee guy answered, I drove it to him at 80 mph on the highway for 20 miles the next day. He had bees already, put the hive to use somewhere useful.

When a new queen is born, the old one has to leave with half the beehive. Scouts go out, find a place, return and dance for the queen And if she likes the dance, she follows with half the army.

And apparently it’s a quick process. About 3000 bees moved into the crack between my light plastic and steel.

They already started on building a honeycomb. Back home I took out my light, washed the inside and left it outside overnight. Stragglers return to the hive for 48 hours looking for the queen. Also bees reuse nests, but besides a few circling bees for 2 days I had no more incidents.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Bees were in short supply and are beneficial and the body count would have been high. Also they know they are being attacked and fight back.

Without bees our food would be in trouble within a few years to put it mildly.

interesting link from 2015:

interesting quotes from there: "If you ask 10 reporters that question, you’ll get 11 answers", "our diets would still suffer tremendously", "40% of food needs pollination"

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
fast forward... July 2020
Sun seconds before going down

minutes later in the opposite direction

Also in the area

and a lightning the next day

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Man you got some crazy cool pictures! The bee story was a very interesting read, especially when you said you called the cops cuz your ride got jacked by bees lol. I was suprised those little suckers hung on to the X even when you were going 80 mph to deliver them to the bee guy. Well glad to got that all sorted out and got the bees a new home. Kudos to you for handling it the way you did. If it was me, I would just lit the X on fire, collect my bee insurance and go get a newer model lol :LOL:

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you, obsessing helps with pictures. Sooner or later something good has to happen if you keep trying.
And some things like the bees just find you.

·
2006 Night Armor Xterra S
9 Posts
What front bumper are you running? Was it pre-built? You must be a photographer because those photos look amazing.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Crazy clouds from 2018, and this is the season... hoping for more clouds this year

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
It's Shrockworks front bumper (when it's not the stock one in pictures). A few lights can make it look different.
Thank you, a good idea, pre-visualizing, patience can do wonders... eventually.
The lightning happened after I arrived at the right time (not the first time). And the moon I saw and reacted, after almost not at all (overcoming laziness). Right time of day, right moon position (the next day the moon is 40 minutes late to that spot, rising.... the previous day the moon would be higher at this same time, it would be too early for this light. Probably the clouds were covering it too).

bumper up close... looks like a face with Nissan nose

and with lights, 3 years later:

What front bumper are you running? Was it pre-built? You must be a photographer because those photos look amazing.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Fishing for lightning pays off eventually

Couldn’t be here sooner so I arrived after sunset, and pointed the camera in the lightning direction, hoping for more lightning close by. And the sky looked good in that direction.

This is usually the time of monsoon clouds and lightning, but it hasn’t been a very active season.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts