Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I am looking into getting an Xterra so I joined this site to ask a few questions. I appreciate in advance any help you all offer.

I am wondering if it would be possible to put a couple of smaller storage boxes on the roof of an xterra and then fasten them down with a roof net. For example, I am thinking if a couple of these low 10 gallon storage boxes would work? I understand that aesthetically this configuration might not be that appealing, but would it be functional?

I figure they could be secured down by a roof net. The low-slung storage boxes have the dimensions of 23.9" L x 15.9" W x 8.7" H and might be perfect for kids clothes and the like on road trips. I am hoping that the low height would't poke too much over the storage box and minimize the lost of mpg due to having something on the top of the car.

Thanks again.

·
on line
6,064 Posts
I don't see why it wouldn't work. You'd probably have to remove the crossbars, which is no big deal. I'd also suggest laying some kind of rubber mat down on the roof to protect the paint. As long as the boxes fir the measurements, the Raingler Roof net would be perfect to secure everything. Not sure how water right those containers are though, might want to consider that if they will be up there long term.

·
on line
719 Posts
Welcome to the site, but you would be better off getting some actionpacker boxes. Raingler makes roof nets for our racks. They are also a sponsor and can make whatever you want. Dephep makes a low profile rooftop carrier to put it all into. Or if you can weld, maybe build one yourself. A few people have made bolt together racks that look good and are very functional. I would stay away from the pop off containers. Good luck on getting into an X.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the replies. In particular, thanks for your comments Boogyman. If we do end up getting an xterra, I'll be looking back at this thread and going with those ideas. I was throwing this idea out there without thinking it through too much. But it is great to hear it is a possibility.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I've done it (with the rubbermaids) multiple times. works great, what I usually use to hold them down is a couple tie down straps, they seem to work fine if you get the crossbar spacing just right :) two will fit if you put them in in the same orientation as the truck (short sides at the front and back) and throw the strap over the top. I've always used them for wet gear (wetsuits, shorts, towels, etc) so I can't vouch for the waterproofing. Although on dry days they keep stuff dry... derp.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts