Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 Pro 4X. 54k.
Denver area. Drive all over CO/NM. Up and down the mountains. Lots of highway driving. Can get wintery at any time. Only aftermarket upgrade is the K-N drop in air filter.
This is my 3rd Xterra in a row. (2005, 2010, 2011.) I am diligent with scheduled maintenance. I have noticed since I bought this truck that it doesnt have the smoothest idle. It seems to idle a little to low in the rpm range? Am I crazy or is that possible? Could it need plugs? When should I consider changing my plugs? Any other ideas? Thx...

·
Registered
192 Posts
There was a TSB issued that mentions a reflash of the ECU due to rough idle when the A/C is on. I had the ECU reprogrammed on my 2011 and it didn't do much of anything that I could tell because the base idle was still set at 625 RPM.

After talking to the service manager at the dealership I was told that the idle RPM could be bumped through some reprogramming ~$80 worth of shop time. In the end I just ended up putting the $80 towards a Bully Dog tuner which allows you to control the idle RPM. It took a bump of 50RPM to smooth things out.

As a side note I did go through everything under the hood that I could think of that could be causing a rough idle but in the end I think the idle is just set too low. I was told its for emissions purposes.

·
Registered
192 Posts
My 2011 idles at about 600 most of the time and feels rough. It was actually worse after they did the reprogram for the TSB. Put it in park and it idles higher and is smooth, only does it in drive.
I completely agree, I should have mentioned that it only occured in drive for me as well. I wonder if it has something to do with the low idle and the load from the torque converter? Apparently the rough idle doesn't affect manuals to the same degree as the autos.

OP: Did you try cleaning your throttle body and MAF sensor? That helped me a bit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts