Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 Off-Road Auto. 39k Lately I've noticed a rough 1-2 when the truck is cold. I also noticed that if I hit the throttle quickly during the first couple of 1-2 shifts the transmission will actually feels like it slips and then catches. Once it is warm everything seems fine.

I bought it certified pre-owned and do all my own maintenance. I have done a couple of drain and fills of the auto and used Nissan fluid each time, measuring what came out. When I got the X I discovered that it had seen some time off trail (I think it is AusteX's old rig) but it was well taken care of. Could my fluid levels be off or is this a sign of something worse? Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
9,953 Posts
Depending on how cold you are talking about, that sounds normal. I notice it most when it's below freezing and it gets worse as it gets colder outside. This has been true for every auto I've ever driven, it's just easier to feel in trucks and suv's

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
988 Posts
I've felt mine do the same after -20 celcius (-4 farenheit), I think its just the Nissan tranny fluid. Only happens if I'm to hard on the throttle right after pulling out of my garage pad.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Considering the OPs in Austin, TX - I doubt he's seeing below zero temps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry guys, by cold I meant when the truck is first turned on. Ambient temps 40- 60F or so. It is very tough to tell atf levels from the dipstick but I usually get 3.5 -4 quarts out on a drain and fill and replace exactly what comes out. That should be about right?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Automatic start. Let the truck warm up a little first. Maybe wrong tranny fluid? To viscous for a cold transmission?

Rik

1 - 9 of 9 Posts