Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys so I need the big tech guys to tell me whats going with my 11 pro 4x, After driving it for awhile an than I park some place with the heat on Ill leave it for a few minutes an Idle ill come back an it will smell like Rotten eggs just an awful smell! Ive read it could be my Cat? Or a fuel issue? Its only got 54,000 on it let me know what u think!, Thanks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rotten eggs

My fuel mileage has been ok I been lucas fuel treatment that wouldn't have anything to do with it right?? and I can't notice an exhaust leak at all.

·
Registered
248 Posts
99% of the time sulfuric smell is the catalytic converters. But here's the deal cats r really expensive (and X's have 4). If only 1 or 2 are burnt it may be more affordable to get a custom exhaust job done. Basically eliminate the 2 downstream cats and get a custom exhaust done. (Maybe eliminate the terrible nissan y-pipe and go to a magnaflow 2-1 muffler)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sounds like either bad cats or bad gas. How has your fuel mileage been lately?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Have similar issue, and my fuel mileage is POOR. Bought 2012 a few months ago. All cats were replaced within past two years. One of them was done by Nissan Dealership with Nissan parts. The other three was done by p/o. No codes. Fuel mileage should appears to be decreasing by about a mile or two a gallon over past two or three fill ups.

What is the possible issues?

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
99% of the time sulfuric smell is the catalytic converters. But here's the deal cats r really expensive (and X's have 4). If only 1 or 2 are burnt it may be more affordable to get a custom exhaust job done. Basically eliminate the 2 downstream cats and get a custom exhaust done. (Maybe eliminate the terrible nissan y-pipe and go to a magnaflow 2-1 muffler)
Posted via Mobile Device

While this is true, you can only really remove the secondary cats, and the failure points are usually the primary cats. so if one of the primary cats goes you cant just remove then and replace with a new exhaust system, youll still need a new cat or two in there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts