Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my Xterra 3 weeks ago and have started to notice a smell from the exhaust. It smells like rotten eggs. This is my first truck, I have driven VWs for the last decade. Is this normal for a vehicle of this size? Are my cats bad?

·
TNX Administrator
20,246 Posts
Clever Username Here... said:
I just bought my Xterra 3 weeks ago and have started to notice a smell from the exhaust. It smells like rotten eggs. This is my first truck, I have driven VWs for the last decade. Is this normal for a vehicle of this size? Are my cats bad?
Could be the gasoline your using, as it appears to have a high sufer content, which is causing the rotten egg smell. Go to a different gas station, get a tank of gas there and see if the smell goes away.

·
on line
735 Posts
ethanol blends usually have less btu content per gallon than 100 percent gasoline. why pay more to get less mpg and less power? in some western states, metro areas have to sell reformulated in the winter for smog reason (CA year round).

High alcohol content requires more oil changes and there is a maximum percentage that you can't go over before your fuel lines, viton o-rings and gas tank will suffer. I think 15%.

·
on line
1,163 Posts
mcampana said:
Remember, dont always fill up at the same gas station, you should rotate thru a few of em.
why? ive always used costco gas which i think is one of the cleanest gas in town and get the most gas mileage out of it.

·
on line
166 Posts
I'm going with a complete difference of opinion other than gasoline...

In my experience this is the smell of a defective/breaking in catalytic converter. In past cars, the cat has had to be replaced because it was corroding from the inside causing the foul smell. But in my last car, this smell went away after about 1000 miles as the lining of the interior of the converter was burned in...

28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wiggum said:
I'm going with a complete difference of opinion other than gasoline...

In my experience this is the smell of a defective/breaking in catalytic converter. In past cars, the cat has had to be replaced because it was corroding from the inside causing the foul smell. But in my last car, this smell went away after about 1000 miles as the lining of the interior of the converter was burned in...
It only has 13k on the odometer and is still under warranty. Should I take it in or would it still be breaking in at this mileage?

·
on line
166 Posts
I'd take it in, though I'm not sure if they can test it. Cats come with a 10 year warranty per government regulations, so no need to hit the panic button...

·
on line
735 Posts
I'd say it might be running rich. Do you have an exhuast leak that is giving false air to the o2 sensor?

·
on line
240 Posts
Ours smells the same way. Won't be able to take it in for awhile since we're so busy. I have already been to a few different gas stations too, same smell!

Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Gonna bring back a thread from the dead here... I noticed the rotten egg odor tonight before I headed to work. No codes yet, but gonna hook up to the dad-in-law's obd-II this weekend to see if it has anything going on that hasn't blown a code yet. Can a tank of bad gas cause the smell as well, or should I just expect one of my cats to go soon? I've noticed my mileage hasn't been that great this tank so far since filling up at the grocery store to save .10/gal. Gonna let this tank go dry and fill up with chevron or something and see if it goes away. I recently had a Magnaflow 2-1 put on and I have the Volant. I'm still under warranty so if it goes I'll just put the stock intake back in and take it in if anything pops up.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
5,042 Posts
It's the CATs. They're heavy on sulfur when new, it'll burn off and you won't smell it anymore. All new cars smell like that.\\

EDIT: Sometimes it is the gas too

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
It's the CATs. They're heavy on sulfur when new, it'll burn off and you won't smell it anymore. All new cars smell like that.\\

EDIT: Sometimes it is the gas too
Thing is, I have an 07, 45,000+ mi, and this is the first time I've noticed it... I'll burn this tank off and see what happens.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
191 Posts
It's the CATs!!! My buddy had a nissan altima and it started doing that and it was the CAT burning out on it!! That smell will never be forgot! ha

·
on line
2,125 Posts
ok i have had this same problem. I notice it when i buy gasoline at:
1. Sunoco
2. Sheetz
3. Gulf

my first thought is the gasoline has a higher sulfur content like some one said. so i did some investigating and here is what i found.
And i quote" Sunoco offers supply of its unbranded gasoline under both term and spot purchase arrangements at truck loading terminals throughout Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Delaware, Ohio, Michigan and Indiana. Our multiple production facilities and access to multiple pipelines enable Sunoco to provide its customers with security of supply." from the Sunoco website. I have also determined that the local distribution hub that these gas stations draw from is infact a Sunoco hub. which leads me to believe that Sunoco, at least at my home in New Kensington PA, is the reason that when i buy gas at the 3 aforementioned stations, my Xterra exhaust smells like rotten eggs.

Now im not saying that this is why your vehicle smells like that, im just saying that it may be the case.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Just hooked up to the OBD-II, no hidden codes at all. Bank 2 was getting more fuel than bank 1 at first and it showed in the O2 sensor readings but it evened out as the truck warmed up. Bank 2 was still slightly higher than 1 though. I was thinking that if the secondary cat go bad, there might not be a way to tell since the O2 sensor is after the primary cats, right? I wiped off the secondaries and they are kind of dark and have a little blueing to them... Tightened up everything on the Volant to make sure no extra air is getting in to make the ECU dump excess fuel in, but as I said, no hidden codes at all.

I guess that's about all I can do for now. I'll wait it out and see if it worsens...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts