Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,539 Posts
. . . Price - $20 difference. . . . My thought is to buy the water and use it for fuel.
Please don't. There are reasons gasoline is stored in red containers.

I wouldn't want to be the guy saving twenty bucks whose neighbor's kid thought my white jerry can was filled with water he could use to put out the fire he just started by playing with matches behind the garbage cans. Or whose thirsty baby sister thought looked like lemonade.

·
Super Moderator
4,539 Posts
. . . or if a good Samaritan uses your water can filled with gasoline to douse the fire under your hood.

And the list goes on.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
vaguely related.... was visiting a hospital a long time ago and the nurse was using a biohazard pail to fill the coffee maker.. she said "Don't worry.. it's clean". I told her she was being stupid and should use the container only for it's intended use. I also avoided the coffee.

I also try to avoid used containers... you don't know where it's been or what's been in it. But nothing is as cool as an old jerry can...

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
If you really, really must have a white one, at least paint "GAS" on it in very large, red, permanent lettering that is visible on all six sides. Or paint the whole thing red while still clearly labeling it "GAS" (as the words "potable water" will be molded into the side).

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
There is a federal DOT law regarding color coding, red for gas, yellow for diesel, etc.

Plus, even though the descriptions are the same on the website, I would bet that the construction is different (which would account for the $20 difference). The permeability standard they are referencing is relating to offgasing of plastic containers containing volatile fuels. I doubt they would spend the extra time/materials on a water container.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Also possible that the water container has a food-grade liner/lining that could be susceptible to degradation by the gas if it's stored that way, dunno if I'd then want that going into my motor. I know a few other manufacturers use food-grade liners on their water cans, and have seen that difference discussed as a potential issue.

Now, if the cans have the same spout attachment, I don't know what would stop one from ordering a replacement water spout and using it in a non-CARB certified manner on their gas can ...

·
Registered
321 Posts
^ I was thinking this, too; and a little ingenuity could come up with a home-made vent hole (with cap) as well.

On the other hand, I've found that, with just a bit of surgery, those CARB spouts can be made to work rather well...
HPH

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
^ I was thinking this, too; and a little ingenuity could come up with a home-made vent hole (with cap) as well.

On the other hand, I've found that, with just a bit of surgery, those CARB spouts can be made to work rather well...
HPH
Or buy them on eBay. Several selllers offee kits.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts