Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
on line
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rooftop insulation

So there I was standing in my garage - bored and just looking around.

I see a roll of reflectrix bubble insulation, turn and look at the Xterra.

Hmmm - wonder if the reflectrix would work as an insulator for the roof?

Dismantle my roof rack, remove the roof bin, clean and wax the roof.

Then - try various ‘stuff’ for templates, cut and try - Damn.

More templates, etc. Finally get something fairly decent.

Re-assemble everything. Looks good. Don’t really need roof insulation here in Portland Oregon but idle hands and all of that.

Now I’m bored and looking around.

]

Photo slide show - http://goo.gl/Irwiod

Reflectrix - http://goo.gl/9JzxlR

·
on line
4,593 Posts
What would be the purpose of putting insulation on the outside of the truck?
Bored at home in the garage?
Deaden the sound between cargo and cabin?
Provide reflective surface for SAR?

I'm curious as well.

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Seems like an interesting idea. What would be the purpose of putting insulation on the outside of the truck?

Missed you last night at the meet n greet at Thirsty Lion at Wash Sq.
That would keep the truck a bit cooler when parking in the sun. Think of it similarly to putting those windshield covers in when parking on a hot sunny day.

·
on line
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was really thinking of when I am driving in UT/AZ, etc.

But boredom and just trying it to see what the result would be played a big part.

Toy Man

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
My conscern with that is how is it attached to the roof? not verry clear on the pic ( I am on a crappy work computer) is it attached enough that it will not fly off while driving ?

·
on line
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is somewhat compressed between the two center cross bars and the roof plus ethafoam inserts between the bottom of the crossbars and the Reflectix. It is NOT coming off/out.

I currently have some small super magnets holding the tail flap down but have two larger magnets on order. Or I could use some Velcro tape to hold the flap down.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Any chance that captures rain between the insulation and roof and holds it there? I might not worry about that so much in AZ or NM, but since you're in the PNW that could be an issue!

Just wondering out loud.

·
on line
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not something I am too worried about but it is why I waxed the roof before putting it on.

I generally take my roof rack off about twice a year to clean the roof. Will see how it looks then.

Toy Man

·
Registered
506 Posts
Interesting. I've considered painting my roof white and putting bedliner on the raised sections for cargo to rest without scratching things up too badly (not worried about paint scratches, just the rust that follows!).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts