Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
on line
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a Sears X20 cargo (clamshell type) carrier - what a large pain in the arse for mounting - supplied brackets ('U' bolts) don't work, their "aftermarket" kit didn't work - the Xterra crossbars must be significantly bulkier than whats out there - had to buy lag bolts twice as long as what was supplied with kits and still barely fits - any one else have any/same issues??? any ingenious and quick solutions, would be awesome - thought of something involving plastic coated 1/8 cable...but not enuff patience for it today..

·
on line
254 Posts
All thread (threaded rod), vise, hammer, and nuts to protect threads when pounding on it has worked for me before. Plus you feel better when whacking on something with a BFH and your upset- priceless. Be careful if you mess up the threads though you will not be able to get the nuts off.

·
on line
51 Posts
How did you end up making out with this? I have the same roof top carrier and will be using it in 8 months for the first time with the X! I haven't thought of this yet. What did you end up doing?

·
on line
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
paid $20 for sears aftermarket mounting kit - still needed to go to home depot to buy longer bolts, wing nuts, and washers - the only thing i used from the kit were the plates and sliding brakets - PITA -
getting some U bolts and expanding i think may work tho for the next time

1 - 5 of 5 Posts