Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone modified the sides of the storage box on the roof so that you can't see what's in it? I understand the whole idea is to have it vented so that the smelly stuff has a place to breathe, but just curious to see if someone moded it. The holes (or vents) on the side invite strangers to say "hey something's in there an I want to get it". My thinking is if its modified somehow, it would be less inviting. Essentially, people non-familiar with xterra's wouldn't even suspect that there's a storage box on top. Pictures would be helpful.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Probably as easy as cutting out some styrene sheet to cover the holes, or backing them with some drywall tape and fiberglassing over and painting. Nothing you couldn't do in a weekend.

Most people unfamiliar with the Xterra have no idea that there's a box up there in the first place. Hell, even some Xterra owners might not know about it.

·
Registered
478 Posts
^ what they said.

I think what's inviting is if someone knew the box was up there but couldn't see what's inside it. Take some ugly looking used rope and put that next to the vents on one side and take some rusted cans of fix-a-flat and put it against the other vent. From the outside, it looks like my box is just filled with crap.

I have thought about making something to put in that side space for side facing roof lights though...

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
BTW, what all do you keep up there that you are worried about?

For me it's a tow strap, chains, ratchet straps, snow shovel and jumper cables. Maybe $200 in gear, yes I will be pissed if is stolen but I am not all that worried about it because most people don't know it's there.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BTW, what all do you keep up there that you are worried about?

For me it's a tow strap, chains, ratchet straps, snow shovel and jumper cables. Maybe $200 in gear, yes I will be pissed if is stolen but I am not all that worried about it because most people don't know it's there.
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't keep anything up there right now for the sole reason of worrying about it being stolen. It's just the area I live in. I would like to keep the things that you've mentioned in there as opposed to the storage box in my trunk. Snatch Strap, Shackles, ratchet straps, hitch recovery receiver, etc..
I will look into the locking handles. Appreciate all your replies. Does anyone have a locking handle on theirs? And if so where'd you pick it up at?

·
on line
971 Posts
I don't keep anything up there right now for the sole reason of worrying about it being stolen. It's just the area I live in. I would like to keep the things that you've mentioned in there as opposed to the storage box in my trunk. Snatch Strap, Shackles, ratchet straps, hitch recovery receiver, etc..
I will look into the locking handles. Appreciate all your replies. Does anyone have a locking handle on theirs? And if so where'd you pick it up at?
It's been covered before: http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1117

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
you could always glue a blacked out bug screen on the sides of the roof box, will block out the view and still let air through to dry up anything that would be in there that is wet. but as stated abbove just get yourself a locking handle and your set

·
Registered
478 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts