Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
on line
429 Posts
I'm taking him a case of beer and we'll be installing it on my truck tonight. Thanks for letting us use your X for the mock-up. :drunken:

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's going to mount to the roof the same places the stock rack did, but I am going to take the roof liner down and use 1/4" bolts. I plan to drill out the stock rivnuts as they suck.

It's made of 1 1/2" and 1 1/8" thin wall DOM. I'm not 100% sure, but I think that is the tube size of the Yakima racks. That was some of my requirements.

·
on line
3,218 Posts
If I may.. Looks great so far, very stout, and heavy. Lace in an expanded metal deck for your interior spaces. It's lightweight, offers many tiedown pts, and improves rigidity. Also, integrated reverse lights, bracketry for lifts, shovels, etc. are nice, and easy when you have the build control.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Already in the works.

Removable expanded metal floor.
3 removable/adjustable cross bars (that will accept Yakima accessories.
The "basket" will accept Yakima accessories (hi-lift mount, shovel/axe mounts, etc).
There will be 4 light tabs across the front and two in the back.
The rack it's self will also be removable, but the mounts will stay on (for cleaning/etc).

You have any other ideas? It's still early enough in the game. ;)

I'm not the one actually building it, but I gave him my stock rack and the specs.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You know, it's your fault that I am even doing this. I was going to have him fab up a basket like yours (showed him your thread). Then it exploded into this. ;)

Yeah, I am not sure if I'll actually use any of the yakima accessories, but I figured, it not going to cost any more to do it.

I do have some Yak rack accessories, but I doubt that I'll be tossing my bike on the roof. :)

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Seriously... I want one. Would it be possible?? Or could you send me the schematics or something so I can have someone build it for me (or are they super top secret :compress: )

Let me know.... Please! thanks dude

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
He'll make more, but I am not sure how much it will be to ship. It's not overly heavy, but it's all one piece.

Once this is done and fitted, I'll let you know.

Also, I can't give you the price, but it's cheaper than the Calmini rack for the Gen 1's.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Ideas? I'd have the wires to the rear lights brought through the tubes to the front where I can supply the power from there as in my power to the roof. Plus I'd want female light connectors facing to the rear in the rear so the lights can be plugged in when mounted and just unplugged when not. A cap on the would be nice.

On the long tube that runs the length of drivers side, make it leak proof and put a gas cap in with a hose that goes to the tank on that side, Should hold like 3 gallons eh? Ya fill er up and when you run low ya just pull out the hose, attach and let gravity fill the tank. Heck make em all sealed like that and carry Diff fluid in a cross member, maybe some water in one, maybe some trans fluid in another.... LOL getting carried away huh? LOL JK about this one but serious about the top one. I wish my wires were in the tube. MC

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had thought about the wires myself. Since the rack is removeable without taking off the mounts, I'll have to run two plugs (one at the front where it will go into the roof and one in the rear so I could remove the lights if I want. My other idea was to just drill two holes in the roof (one front and one rear and run the lines up in the header. I was thinking about even pre-running the wires to the back so I can tie them up while the lining is down and just leave enough spooled in the back to hook up the lights.

I have not put too much thought into the lights, as they are low on my priority list right now....hmm...something to think about now.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
muzikman said:
He'll make more, but I am not sure how much it will be to ship. It's not overly heavy, but it's all one piece.

Once this is done and fitted, I'll let you know.

Also, I can't give you the price, but it's cheaper than the Calmini rack for the Gen 1's.
Sweet... just keep us informed on the progress. I dont really care about shipping... heck if it would cost an arm and a leg to ship... I might just make a special trip up there and have them install it for me :drunken:

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just incase you guys are wondering. This is the same guy that made my OBA skid (Click Me). He also welded up the brackets on my Jeep's front axle.

I also plan on having him work his magic to build me a shelf in the back of the X to put my recovery case on so I can still get to the floor compartment. I’ll have it bolt into the utility track and then the case strap to the shelf and utility track for added security (the case is a good 80+lbs). I plan on having him fab in a small roll bar into the shelf so that I can mount a nylon webbed "pet divider". That way I can keep me and my passengers safe from any objects that might come loose in the back.

After that, it's on to the Jeep where I'll be having him fab up a cage.

So, if you didn't notice, I have a lot of respect for his fab/welding abilities.

http://www.ralphsoffroad.com/

As you can tell, he's a fabricator, not a webmaster. ;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts