Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
on line
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which do you think s better, buying factory cross bars then mounting the attachment (kayak carrier, snowboard carrier), or buy cross bars from yakima or thule.

Doesn't seem like there will be a huge price difference as two factory cross bars would set be back like $160 or so.

Any experience with either of these?

·
on line
207 Posts
If you go with Yakima or Thule cross bars, if I am not mistaken, they will still have to mounted to the existing OEM rack. Thus increasing the overhead clearance required. In my opinion, both Yakima and Thule have a variety of options that allow you to use the OEM racks. I live in MN so I like to be able to park in my garage (not a big fan of scrapping windows) so clearance was an issue. My Yakima bike trays mount to my OEM crossbars and still leave me with just enough clearance (even after my lift) to fit in the grage. If I had the Yakima crossbars mounted to the OEM rack the overall height requirment would go up about 2" and I would not be able to fit.

·
on line
835 Posts
I found a way to use all three :thumbright: My 05 OR WAV (Woodland Attack Vehicle) came with factory crossbars. The loadwarrior mounts to those, and I used some hardware to mount the round yakima crossbars to the loadwarrior. I only have one pic at the moment...will try to take some close ups of the mounting area soon.

As you can see my bike trap is mounted on the driver's side. This setup gives much versatility...I've carried 4 kayaks (one each side using yakima hullraisers) and two in middle on top of loadwarrior. It'll carry 5 mt bikes. It'll carry two kayaks and two bikes. Or mounting stuff on the sides leaves the loadwarrior for gear/cooler/etc.

·
on line
5,614 Posts
Kyle4583 said:
Doesn't seem like there will be a huge price difference as two factory cross bars would set be back like $160 or so.
Too bad, I just gave a couple away. Personally - I don't think they are very well designed. They tend to be ever loosening. Especially if you carry anything up there. Just my personal experience.

·
on line
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
import silvia said:
I have 2 factory cross bars that have now become homeless. PM if interested.

pm sent.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts