Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
on line
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going camping to No. Cal redwoods in 3 weeks and again to either Yosemite or Sequoia the last week of September. Im taking passengers with me so im in dire need to use the cargo area on my '05 X SE. Although it already is equipped with the X cargo racks..... im wondering if i need to buy a roof basket to dump my tents, sleeping bags and grill onto it or if its really an unneeded necessity. Since im a straight noob at this, i figure id ask for all of yous, considering you're all experienced if not experts in this subject.

After market rack or stock roof rack?? (why or why not)

Thanks in advance!!

[if i buy, coleman will be the rack, considering its only $80 at Costco]

·
on line
564 Posts
DodgerBlues said:
I just ordered mine. Thanks guys!!!

Yeah...I guess it didn't take you too long to decide! I've gone camping for two nights and haven't needed any external storage, but that was only two of us. If you pack your gear right, you'll be amazed at how much gear you can fit back there.

Rob

·
on line
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i hear ya.

im going with 2 other friends but taking 4 tents, a 50qt ice chest, 100qt ice chest (beer!), 5 sleeping bags, a grill, 5 air mattresses, like 8 chairs, 2 tables, our luggage, boombox, and who knows what else. Im soooo gonna need the extra room.

i think this will be the most packed of been. I wouldnt need it if it was only 2 of us......i can just flatten the back seats. And yes, that X with the back seats down can hold a ton of stuff. heh.

My first camping trip ever, a week after driving the X off the lot 2 years ago. :geek:

·
on line
1,361 Posts
DodgerBlues said:
i hear ya.

im going with 2 other friends but taking 4 tents, a 50qt ice chest, 100qt ice chest (beer!), 5 sleeping bags, a grill, 5 air mattresses, like 8 chairs, 2 tables, our luggage, boombox, and who knows what else. Im soooo gonna need the extra room.

i think this will be the most packed of been. I wouldnt need it if it was only 2 of us......i can just flatten the back seats. And yes, that X with the back seats down can hold a ton of stuff. heh.

My first camping trip ever, a week after driving the X off the lot 2 years ago. :geek:
wow, thats a lot of stuff. I would take a smaller cooler for beer and just buy some when you get where you are going. Take one out put one in :geek:

I try to take the bare minimum when camping but it always seems like i take too much.

·
on line
2,540 Posts
DodgerBlues said:
i hear ya.

So with all that stuff you packed....what did you forget? :)

·
on line
1,479 Posts

·
on line
367 Posts
A little while after I bought my X, I went for a long off road trip through the desert. I decided to bring some extra gas, and tied two plastic gas cans to the factory rack/roof. Scratched the [email protected]#@!$ out of the paint on the roof :p.

·
on line
3,272 Posts
Hey mudpuppy, I dont know if you plan on making any mods or changes to your X but I noticed you live in Redondo Beach and I know the Redondo Beach 4 Wheel Parts store is having a grand re-opening this Saturday and Sunday. Big discount and big giveaways in case you were interested. They dont have a lot of stuff for the X but might be a good time to stock up on some trail gear.

·
on line
367 Posts
KillJoy LosAngeles said:
Hey mudpuppy, I dont know if you plan on making any mods or changes to your X but I noticed you live in Redondo Beach and I know the Redondo Beach 4 Wheel Parts store is having a grand re-opening this Saturday and Sunday. Big discount and big giveaways in case you were interested. They dont have a lot of stuff for the X but might be a good time to stock up on some trail gear.
Yeah, I got that flyer thingie in the mail the other day. I decided to drop by after work yesterday and checked the place out. It's pretty nice. I'd like to do some mods on my X eventually (lift, tires, maybe bumpers) They didn't really have anything specific to the X, but had some cool generic stuff (winches, hi-lifts, lights, etc)

Hey, do you know of any shops in west LA that do mods to X's?

·
on line
3,484 Posts
A rack is more useful than one might think on a trip. For one it makes securing the gear much easier. Plus, I have went on a trip with nothing in the rack and had to buy a box of rope to carry souvenirs back. PLUS sometimes it's a matter of weight distribution, our rear leafs suck and added weight back there will go against you on a trip in ride and handling quality. I load the roof rack to get the weight centered on the vehicle to make it ride right and handle correctly.

You can... because I have... haul 12 cases of Beer from Denver to Moab and from Moab to Cleveland, Ohio on the roof rack. 1st row was double stacked! Not much difference in MPG, Maybe 1 MPG less at most as odd as it may seem.

MC

1 - 20 of 20 Posts