Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I will say that I don't off-road in the regular sense. I do hunt and fish. I spend considerable time in the woods.

I just purchased my third Xterra. First I boughr an X, then an S, and finally a PRO-4X. The idea with the PRO-4X was to make use of the roof lights and off-road suspension.
I have not been in the woods yet, but I have been in a few hardwood swamps. I find the light on the roof to make a glare on the windshield, and really not that effective overall.
Anyone have a suggestion on making these work better, exchange them or what? I am inclined to look for lights with beams that reach out rather than flood.
Off roaders educate me please!!

thankyouverymuch

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
If you keep the stock lights your best option would be to make a glare shield for them, that way the light does not hit the hood. Unsure if anyone has actually done it though.

If you wanted something aftermarket look at the xoskel mounts and sell off the off-road lights.

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
Xoskel was looking into making glare shields for the stock lights ad they do glare on the windshield a bit, it's worse when you install hid bulbs in the stock housings but the output is much better. I have toyed with the idea but I'm not very good with sheetmetal
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
175 Posts
Good for total darkness

Some people paint the hood, other built glare shields.
I find you get use to the hood being lit up.
When you are in an area with no street light or any other form of light the work pretty well.
Yeah, in the total dark the glare does not bother me.

·
Registered
430 Posts
First, I will say that I don't off-road in the regular sense. I do hunt and fish. I spend considerable time in the woods.

I just purchased my third Xterra. First I boughr an X, then an S, and finally a PRO-4X. The idea with the PRO-4X was to make use of the roof lights and off-road suspension.
I have not been in the woods yet, but I have been in a few hardwood swamps. I find the light on the roof to make a glare on the windshield, and really not that effective overall.
Anyone have a suggestion on making these work better, exchange them or what? I am inclined to look for lights with beams that reach out rather than flood.
Off roaders educate me please!!

thankyouverymuch
Many Pro-4x owners take them off and sell them. Just like you, they find the glare unacceptable - even dangerous in any kind of inclement weather. I have many hundreds of watts of extra lights attached to my front bumper, but never use the roof lights while driving.

However I do think they are useful for ambient lighting like at a camp or worksite where the additional height is beneficial.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Swapping out the bulbs to HID is effective, not expensive (around $50-70; the 6000k is $20 cheaper than the 5000k) and easy to install.

As for the glare on the windshield, I just got used to it. Wiping trail dust off the top of the windshield helps. I kind of wish it would glare a little on the hood too so I could justify getting the Vigg hood blackout though...

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Having a clean windshield helps, although if you're off road it probably won't stay that way.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I agree with what many have said that you get used to the glare. For me, it was a bit annoying at first but now I dont even think about it. I use them on back roads with no street lights and they really do a great job of giving you extra visibility. I have learned to look past the glare and am able to focus on what the lights are illuminating.

I don't think they are really much worse than any other high mounted light is going to be in inclement weather. Hell, in cases of heavy snow or rain, even just standard high beams negatively impact you vision.

My advice is see if you can get any adjustment out of them. Even if you can't, i would say give it some time and see if you can get used to it and look past it before you spend money on changing it. That really comes down to your own personal opinion though, as something that may not be a big deal to mean could really drive someone else crazy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input

I have already tried the windshield cleaning. It does not last. I will try to adjust lights and see if I get the effect I am looking for.
I really would like to get distance on the beams instead of flood. In the area I hunt there are many roads I can travel to check on game (deer) movement.
I am going to wait until well into deer season before I decide on changing. With adjustments, these may be o.k. Can't imagine Nissan installing lights that don't serve a good purpose.

Love my Xterras

thankyouverymuch

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
you will have glare with the xoskel light cage as well, i had it on my 1st gen and purchased his glare shields for the kc lights and the glare was gone. so i decided to work on this a while back and forgot to post pictures.

heres my rough draft that i have been testing out. it clips in so that it can be easily removed and the stock covers fitted. ive been working on tweaking the design because i would like it to block as little light as possible while still eliminating the glare on the windshield.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Sorry, that looks really ***. I look past the windshield/hood...just like you look down and
towards the shoulder when oncoming driver has their high beams on. Just sayin'...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts