Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my own use, I made some measurements on my 2012 Xterra this evening. Then I added dimensions to some pictures, for reference. I thought I'd post this, to save others the trouble. I rounded down to the nearset 1/4 inch on the rails, so there would be a little leeway for mounting.

Sorry for the crude dimensioning. I did this in a paint program, without nice CAD features.

You'll have to click on the pictures, so you can see them full size. Otherwise, you probably can't read the numbers.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Thank you sir for the drawing! I always find myself wondering about dimensions when I'm ordering specific parts for the X on Amazon when I'm at my desk and away from the X. This will definitely come in handy. Now if only you had the dimensions for the cargo area, I know I've seen it before but can't seem to find it :D

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
One, maybe two, missing dimensions are Rail diameter and crossbar width. Other than that, great work measuring everything.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Thanks for putting that together.

Regarding the distance between the frame rails, on my '06 and '09 they're definitely different. I don't know why, if it's manufacturing slop or if they changed something.

I have DIY crossbars and I had to slot the holes to make them interchangeable between the two Xterras. I'd guess there's about 1/4" difference. It's not a huge difference, but it does matter if you're wanting to bolt things together.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One, maybe two, missing dimensions are Rail diameter and crossbar width. Other than that, great work measuring everything.
I didn't put the side rail diameter, as I only eyeballed it, using a tape measure. It looked to be about 2-1/4"

As for the crosssbar width, I show the distance between the two side rails, not counting the plastic pieces.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
As for the crosssbar width, I show the distance between the two side rails, not counting the plastic pieces.
I should have been clearer, I meant the distance fore and aft of the crossbar. I take what you measured as the length of the crossbar. (miscommunication) :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I only measured what I needed. I don't yet have crossbars. The distances between the plastic mounts on the side rails, and the distance between, are for when I do something about adding crossbars. I may go DIY, as seen on this forum. The other front-to-rear measurements are so I know how much a kayak will overhang. I just sold my short one, and will buying a longer one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the work, i want to order a roof rack that go inside the oem rack. But i take possesion of the truck only next week. You save me the waithing! Thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts