Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Pro-4X, Night Armor
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m looking to add a box up top for skis and am getting conflicting info. I found an old post here, but want to know if anyone has added a cargo box in the last couple of years (Yakima, Thule), mounting directly to the roof bars. I went to RackAttack today and they said none of the models will clear the storage bin up front and the hatch in the back. Yakima and Thule say multiple models will fit.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a large Thule Force XT that I tried on top of the Xterra last year. Because of the wet box, the front of the cargo box was forced upwards which lifted the front mounting clamps too high above the front crossbar.

If you could use higher crossbars and didn't need to open the wet box there would be enough front to back room for most cargo boxes.

·
Registered
2015 Pro-4X, Night Armor
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a large Thule Force XT that I tried on top of the Xterra last year. Because of the wet box, the front of the cargo box was forced upwards which lifted the front mounting clamps too high above the front crossbar.

If you could use higher crossbars and didn't need to open the wet box there would be enough front to back room for most cargo boxes.
That’s what the guys at RackAttack said. They also suggested that the Yakima sits a little higher than the Thule. Did you find a way to make it work?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Get yourself some u-bolts and E-Channel. Put the U-Bolts on the side rails, bolt side up, and run E-Channel across. Mount to those instead of the factory cross bars. Somewhere on here is a thread about using this method to make low profile mounting points for gear. In that thread, they mount the cross bars (E-Channel) below the side bars. If you did that, only above the side bars, it would give you a strong mounting point, but also free up the space you need.

·
Registered
2015 Pro-4X, Night Armor
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Get yourself some u-bolts and E-Channel. Put the U-Bolts on the side rails, bolt side up, and run E-Channel across. Mount to those instead of the factory cross bars. Somewhere on here is a thread about using this method to make low profile mounting points for gear. In that thread, they mount the cross bars (E-Channel) below the side bars. If you did that, only above the side bars, it would give you a strong mounting point, but also free up the space you need.
Good suggestion. You’ve got me thinking…

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
You won't get one long enough for ski's that still lets you access your wet box.

Also, if your going to mount it to factory cross bars you will need spacers under the box or it won't clear the wet box at all - it will rest on it. I was in a bind with my old Thule box so I made some out of 1/4 inch plywood and glued foam rubber to each side - but you would be better off finding something like 1/2 inch thick silicone gasket or something. I didn't have time. I should probably get some now that I think of it.

And you will need to rig up different length bolts - the X cross bars are too thick for any factor set up.

Or as mentioned, just get thule cross bars, or make your own out of some square tube stock - just make sure its thick enough wall.

As an FYI - if you don't want to spend a fortune on a box - thule moved their "old style" boxes to their Sport rack brand - which I think was a company they aquired. Half price - same function. https://www.sportrack.com/product-category/cargo/cargo-roof-cargo-box/

·
Registered
2015 Pro-4X, Night Armor
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You won't get one long enough for ski's that still lets you access your wet box.

Also, if your going to mount it to factory cross bars you will need spacers under the box or it won't clear the wet box at all - it will rest on it. I was in a bind with my old Thule box so I made some out of 1/4 inch plywood and glued foam rubber to each side - but you would be better off finding something like 1/2 inch thick silicone gasket or something. I didn't have time. I should probably get some now that I think of it.

And you will need to rig up different length bolts - the X cross bars are too thick for any factor set up.

Or as mentioned, just get thule cross bars, or make your own out of some square tube stock - just make sure its thick enough wall.

As an FYI - if you don't want to spend a fortune on a box - thule moved their "old style" boxes to their Sport rack brand - which I think was a company they aquired. Half price - same function. https://www.sportrack.com/product-category/cargo/cargo-roof-cargo-box/
Thanks, good advice. I’m not too worried about using the wet box when I’ll have the box on (Winter). I’m leaning toward getting bars if they can attach to the factory bars. I’ll also consider making some if I can find the right material.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I agree you won’t find a ski box that’ll let you use the wet box but if used seasonally no big deal.

See here for some ideas on DIY crossbars that are much sturdier and more versatile than OEM:

·
Registered
2015 Pro-4X, Night Armor
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree you won’t find a ski box that’ll let you use the wet box but if used seasonally no big deal.

See here for some ideas on DIY crossbars that are much sturdier and more versatile than OEM:

This is fantastic! Thanks so much!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts