Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was trying to take out one of the bolts for the xoskel front light cage and the passenger side bolt is just spinning? need advice on removing it?

·
Veteran - AKA Truffle's
3,410 Posts
i was trying to take out one of the bolts for the xoskel front light cage and the passenger side bolt is just spinning? need advice on removing it?
Correct way to do it is to

1) Pull the headliner down

2) Drill out the old rivet by holding the bottom and then buy a new rivet with knurled edges.- something like this check length though
Fastenal Part No. (SKU): 0125713

-To insert the rivet look up hand made tools like this

http://www.soundsfishy.net/misc/PictureA.png

3) then put it back together.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i got the bolt out but the piece it screws into got mangled in the process what part is that and where could i possible get one?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Correct way to do it is to

1) Pull the headliner down

2) Drill out the old rivet by holding the bottom and then buy a new rivet with knurled edges.- something like this check length though
Fastenal Part No. (SKU): 0125713

-To insert the rivet look up hand made tools like this

http://www.soundsfishy.net/misc/PictureA.png

3) then put it back together.

Has anyone taken the bolts out and replaced them with a standard nut and bolt pinching the roof with something like a neoprene washer?

I tried to remove the rack the other day and was lost in spin city, was very annoyed when i dropped the headliner and saw rivets.

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
Has anyone taken the bolts out and replaced them with a standard nut and bolt pinching the roof with something like a neoprene washer?

I tried to remove the rack the other day and was lost in spin city, was very annoyed when i dropped the headliner and saw rivets.
Be warned:
If you do that you will have to drop the headliner EVERY time you need to remove a roof rack bolt. That could be never but that 1 time you will curse yourself:banghead:

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
That could be never but that 1 time you will curse yourself:banghead:
Couldn't be further from the truth.

As long as you don't torque down super tight on them when you put them back in you won't have problems. I had my custom rack up there with them barely past hand tight and it was solid as a rock. When I went to take off the rack for coating they all came right out.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Be warned:
If you do that you will have to drop the headliner EVERY time you need to remove a roof rack bolt. That could be never but that 1 time you will curse yourself:banghead:
I doubt I'll ever remove it, its been up there for 210k already. I wanted to take it off for a full paint job but after the issues. I'm set on just taping everything off really well and painting on the car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts