Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unresponsive to messages. Not selling in order of interest received is bad business practice.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I listed my Rock Sliders for sale with a clear price and terms a few days ago. I got multiple offers by PM in the first couple hours they were listed. I selected the best offer out of the PM's I received and made arrangements with that buyer. I immediately updated the public listing to indicate the sliders were sold and thanked everyone for their interest.

I really do not understand why mtnbiker49 is so upset.

·
Registered
2012 PRO-4X
24 Posts
I listed my Rock Sliders for sale with a clear price and terms a few days ago. I got multiple offers by PM in the first couple hours they were listed. I selected the best offer out of the PM's I received and made arrangements with that buyer. I immediately updated the public listing to indicate the sliders were sold and thanked everyone for their interest.

Seller rejected my double offer, said it was sold already. That’s a good practice in my book

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've purchased from Rodagoose in the past and had a great experience. The communication was done in a clear and timely manner. The meeting to complete the sale was on time and the items were as described. I would definitely buy another item from Rodagoose based on my previous experience.

·
on line
226 Posts
Seller rejected my double offer, said it was sold already. That’s a good practice in my book

Mtnbiker49 was the first person to express interest in the for sale thread, which in my book means he’s got dibs on the purchase and it sounds like you were unresponsive to him. If it were me, I would be upset too because you listed a desirable product for a really low price.

Did someone PM you before he responded?

And really the thing I take issue with, even though I wasn’t involved, is the forum rules explicitly state that this forum is not an auction and you sold the sliders to the highest bidder. That means you didn’t sell them for the $250 asking price.

·
Super Moderator
4,384 Posts
Note from Moderator:

There was no impropriety by the seller.

There is no "first in line" or "dibs" protocol in the forum for sale rules nor could there be because a potential buyer has no obligation to publicly announce his/her intentions. An individual first to publicly post interest is not necessarily the first person to show interest.

There is also no requirement that a seller who posts a classified ad must sell to the first person who responds, even if that person offers full price. A classified ad is not considered to be an offer for sale that results in a binding contract when someone accepts. Instead, a classified ad is deemed to be a solicitation for purchase offers from potential purchasers. Thus, communicating interest in an item listed for sale on this or any other forum or even publicly promising to pay full price would at most constitute an offer, not an acceptance, and cannot bind a seller.

Here, Seller listed an item for sale, "asking $250," and subsequently posted in this thread that it was sold to the buyer with the best offer. However, simply because an item sold for the "best offer" does not render the underlying transaction the result of an auction. The seller did not solicit bids. The best offer may have been, "Hey, I'm right around the corner, have cash, and can be there in 5 minutes with the cash and a box of fresh donuts." The implied "or best offer" in every classified ad is not limited to lower offers. Sometimes potential buyers voluntarily offer a higher price, faster performance, or other incentive to sweeten the deal to make sure they get a desirable item.

This closes the matter for the particular transaction at issue and I hope clarifies the situation. I can certainly understand the disappointment of not being the one to get a great deal on what appears to be a highly desirable item listed for sale on a public forum at an attractive price, but the facts do not support any allegation of wrongdoing.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts

Seems like he thinks that becuse he was the first to call "dibs" on the public post means he was first in line. but that disregards the fact that someone could have pm'd you before he posted. you are under no obligation to sell to the first claimer anyways.

Like Mr. Bills said, maybe someone was closer/ more convenient to you the seller.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts