Year: 2006
Make: Nissan
Model: Xterra
Trim: Off Road, Automatic, 4wd
Color: Granite
Mods:
Suspension:
> 1 1/2" lift
> Old Man Emu Heavy Load (608) front springs & Nitrocharger Sport struts, Energy Suspension bumpstops
> Calmini AAL in rear w/ sway bar removed, Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Sport shocks; cheapo Autozone helper spring in towing season

Tires/Wheels:
> 265/75/16 Cooper Discoverer ATP on stock wheels

Custom fab work:
> Factory Bumper Winch Mount, New Models For Sale
> Square tube sliders w/ round tube steps, New Models For Sale
> Prerunner-inspired light cage (never finished/wired)
> Goldfish tranny skid
> Pivoting rear cargo rack/shelf w/ quick detach legs
> 1/8" Aluminum tread plate "diamond plate" sliding drawer in rear cargo area
> Hi-Lift mount on Coleman rack

Exterior:
> Smittybilt 5.5hp series wound XRC8 winch, remote mounted solenoid under hood
> Coleman rack
> (4) Hella 500 FF lights
> Shrockworks rear diff cover/skid
> Shrockworks engine skid
> Shrockworks radiator skid
> Factory tow package
> Rear diff breather extension

Interior:
> Garmin Nuvi 500 GPS
> Factory rubber mats
> Factory pet divider
> Cargo carpet
> Dual bike mount
> Radio Shack CB w/ interior magnetic mount antenna (useless)

Other goodies:
> Koyo A2807 radiator
> Harbor Freight 12V high volume compressor
> Staun deflators
> Hi-Lift
> Assorted recovery gear: Smittybilt (snatch block, recovery strap, shackles) Rugged Ridge (receiver shackle), ARB (tree saver), big ol' heavy chain
> Fire Extinguisher

Comments: I'm a drafter by trade and in addition to my modest home shop, I have access to a full metal fabrication shop on my lunch break at work; works out great for projects!

So, what's in a name?? Some simple, humble advice...
RockyMtnX said:
Best thing you can do is get out and 'wheel YOUR vehicle and figure out what YOU need, then build to suit. There is no one size fits all way to build a rig. Sure, a Titan Swap and 35's with front and rear lockers is cool, but do YOU need it? Only YOU can answer that. For ME, sliders, a few added & beefier skids in the right places, and a winch in the stock bumper fit the bill perfect. For others who plan to run the Rubicon, that build won't cut it. Save yourself some money and frustration and figure out what YOU need.

Careful with these forums---Xterra envy and keeping up with the Joneses is a dangerous, expensive, and sometimes foolish thing. ;)
From... Ranking Protection by Order of Priority - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

Photos:
First Moab trip, bone stock w/ temp tags (Nov, 2006)

Metberry Gulch, Divide, CO (May, 2008)

Tincup/St. Elmo, CO (Sept, 2008)

China Wall, CO (April, 2009)

Imogene Pass, Ouray, CO (July, 2009)

Winch Testing, Colorado Springs, CO (March, 2011)

Surf & Snow visits, Cascade Creek & Saxon Mtn, near Georgetown, CO (August, 2011)

Links to MPS: Factory Bumper Winch Mount , Recovery Brackets: Rear / Front (for Stock & Aftermarket Bumpers), Rock Sliders & DIY Bracket Sets

·
TNX Administrator
20,246 Posts
Xterra is lookin good - love the outback country in your photo's!!!

·
on line
2,125 Posts
so how is that hidden winch working out for ya? u willing to make another one???? lol i just may be willing to pay if the price is right....

·
on line
1,206 Posts
Right on man, lovin the X and the Scenery!

·
on line
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for the comments, guys. My wife loves photography, and she is my co-pilot on all our trail runs, so lots of great pictures always result. As for the winch mount, I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but it is there if I need it. The old mine building does look precarious, and it feels pretty stupid to stop downhill from it, but it has actually been perched that way for a great many years, and is reportedly relatively sound as it sits now, believe it or not.

·
on line
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Picked up some fancy yellow and black parts from Predator 4wd today. Quick service, great to support local businesses whenever possible, www.predator4wd.com. Pretty stoked to have a suspension this nice for the X. Now just need to find time to get these things installed. :rolleyes: Maybe in a few weeks...

·
on line
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
After 4 years, my sliders were in dire need of refinishing. I was also looking for something to provide a non-skid surface, since these things have been down right hazardous to step on when wet and my wife already busted her shin once. I dropped them off and had the old powder blasted off, then touched up a few welds, laid down a base coat of self-etching primer (1.5 cans) followed by a few top coats of Duplicolor truck bed coating (4 cans). I can see why everybody goes nuts stealthing stuff now - the Duplicolor offers a nice, easy to apply finish, even for guys like myself who hate painting and aren't very good at it either. Very forgiving stuff. I really like the finish & texture, but I do question the durability. Only time will tell, but I am hopeful that it will hold up well...

Installed the OME rear shocks, too. Still need to find time to do the front.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Picked up some fancy yellow and black parts from Predator 4wd today. Quick service, great to support local businesses whenever possible, www.predator4wd.com. Pretty stoked to have a suspension this nice for the X. Now just need to find time to get these things installed. :rolleyes: Maybe in a few weeks...

I wish I could get them (Predator) to get off their dead a** and actually do something. Apparently they no longer deal with Xterra owners because they REALLY do not want to take $2,000 of my money. Several e-mails to Craig...nothing. Mike is just as worthless...nothing. I've stopped in three times and got the worst service I have ever received in my entire life!!!! They just stand there and ignore the fact that I walked into their store (no customers), but they readily welcome the Jeep customers that arrived AFTER I got there. It's like they have a camera on their store and discriminate. "It's summer and we have Jeep business...in the off-season we welcome anyone just to make ends meet."

·
on line
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wish I could get them (Predator) to get off their dead a** and actually do something. Apparently they no longer deal with Xterra owners because they REALLY do not want to take $2,000 of my money. Several e-mails to Craig...nothing. Mike is just as worthless...nothing. I've stopped in three times and got the worst service I have ever received in my entire life!!!! They just stand there and ignore the fact that I walked into their store (no customers), but they readily welcome the Jeep customers that arrived AFTER I got there. It's like they have a camera on their store and discriminate. "It's summer and we have Jeep business...in the off-season we welcome anyone just to make ends meet."
Wow, sorry to hear that. :( I know they typically let you browse the racks and let (make) you approach the desk for assistance, but other than that, I've always had good luck. Craig was really on the ball with me when I contacted him via e-mail - I sent him part nos. and he had me pricing within a few hours, as well as answers to a number of questions I had. Walked in, shot the bull with Craig for a few, placed my order (50% down req'd), and had my parts in less than a week. Very prompt and professional. They are definitely Jeep enthusiasts over there, but I've never had a problem; I've known Craig since long ago (friend of a friend, but I know he wouldn't remember me other than face to face) and Mike has always been super friendly. :confused: Unless you are over it (I probably would be by now), call Craig, say Steve who just ordered the ARB/OME Xterra parts last month referred you, so what's up?!?

If the bridge is already burned, everybody seems to be having great luck/service with Kurt at Cruise Outfitters - maybe give him a ring and let me supply you with your goodies.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear that. :( I know they typically let you browse the racks and let (make) you approach the desk for assistance, but other than that, I've always had good luck. Craig was really on the ball with me when I contacted him via e-mail - I sent him part nos. and he had me pricing within a few hours, as well as answers to a number of questions I had. Walked in, shot the bull with Craig for a few, placed my order (50% down req'd), and had my parts in less than a week. Very prompt and professional. They are definitely Jeep enthusiasts over there, but I've never had a problem; I've known Craig since long ago (friend of a friend, but I know he wouldn't remember me other than face to face) and Mike has always been super friendly. :confused: Unless you are over it (I probably would be by now), call Craig, say Steve who just ordered the ARB/OME Xterra parts last month referred you, so what's up?!?

If the bridge is already burned, everybody seems to be having great luck/service with Kurt at Cruise Outfitters - maybe give him a ring and let me supply you with your goodies.
I e-mailed Kurt a couple of days ago but never got a response from him either. Oh well...I walked in to 4 Wheel Parts this afternoon and they were awesome! I told them about my above experience and their assistant manager Donovan was more than happy to take a sale from them! He hooked me up and I ended up paying a couple hundred less!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 51 Posts