Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the 2005 Xterra's w/ the Rockford Fosgate setup didn't come with the Aux input on the dash, does anyone know if it's possible to simply get an OEM Aux input from say, a 2007 Xterra w/ the Rockford Fosgate system and swap it over? The head units are the exact same so I don't see why not. I just didn't know what the wiring was like for the Aux input. Does it go straight from head unit to the aux input jack or does it go from aux input jack to the RF amp then to the head unit?

X_Terra05 has an 05 w/ the RF system but no Aux input and I have an aux input that's no longer being used because I have an aftermarket head unit. I was just wondering if it'd be possible to give him my aux input.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I wanted to do the same thing so I called a Nissan by me find out. I asked him if I could buy the input and hook it up to my existing 05 RF head unit. He said no, I would need an entirely new system that would cost me $2000 WTF. I didn't call any other dealers myself. I wonder if calling NNA would result in atleast a more precise answer. I asked him why it wouldn't work and he said that it is entirely different system. I highly doubt that but I am not sure what the solution would be to add one. If you figure this out I would love to know because this on my to do list because the last thing I wanna spend money on right now is a new head unit, the stock system is fine for me.

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I definitely don't think it'd require a whole new system. I know there's a separate plug on the back of the head unit for the aux input. I am thinking it should just be a simple plug in but who knows....

·
Registered
2,306 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
PAC Unit will provide the '05 RF Head Unit with two (2) aux inputs.

Its like $70...plug-and-play

http://www.amazon.com/AAI-NIS2-Auxiliary-Audio-Nissan-Infiniti/dp/B00065L0C6
X2, that is what I have and it works great!

This is what I'm thinking about upgrading to though.

http://www.amazon.com/PAC-uPAC-NIS1-Auxiliary-2005-2008-Vehicles/dp/B001IF0BOG

It gives an Aux as well as iPod control. But PAC doesn't list the xterra as a model that it works with. Then again they didn't list the AAI-NIS2 as working with the xterra either, and it works great!

On the original subject though, I would think you could just check it out and try it. I would think it would work, but who knows until we try!

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate the suggestion, but this is free......just seeing if it can be done since I have a perfectly good OEM aux input not being used in my truck and his doesn't have one.

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They are the same...that I know. The question is what does the harness look like for the aux input? Is it just a 2' wire going directly from the jack on the dash to the back of the head unit or is it a 20' harness going to the head unit, the amp, etc...

I was hoping someone out there had actually removed their whole aux input for similar reason(s).

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
I cant imagine it going through the amp and everything. But there is no AUX button on the '05 head unit, right?

The pac unit utilizes the 2nd and 3rd radio options (A-B-C button) to create aux inputs.

But typically a factory stereo with aux input has an AUX button to activate it... no?

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I cant imagine it going through the amp and everything. But there is no AUX button on the '05 head unit, right?

The pac unit utilizes the 2nd and 3rd radio options (A-B-C button) to create aux inputs.

But typically a factory stereo with aux input has an AUX button to activate it... no?
Ahh..well that answers it for me. I didn't realize the 05's didn't even have the Aux button. Guess I didn't pay enough attention. At first glance they look identical but after looking at it, I can see how they moved the Scan/Rpt button over one, moved the display button up to join the clock button, then added the AUX button where the Scan/Rpt was.

No Aux:

W/ Aux:

·
Registered
47 Posts
@xterra1102 - I just came across this thread because I am trying to connect an aux in straight into the radio on the first page which has the aux button. Just wondering if you were ever successful and if so, what you did to make it work.

I take it you have the RF version of that 6CD stereo?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks Old Army! I have seen your thread and it was helpful but I have a non-RF 6CD Nissan stereo which I installed into a 2010 Xterra X. It is referred in the manual as a "premium" stereo, however, it is not RF or Bose and has the "aux" button on the face of it. I have managed to identify it as made by Panasonic, but not much else beyond that.

On the back of the stereo, there are 4 sockets, 2 already used for the power & speakers. The other two were used for premium audio installs in select xterra models, satellite, amps, etc. There is an empty 16 pin and 12 pin socket. My vehicle was NOT pre-wired so I do not have the plugs available to use.

It seemed that some of the information from this thread might have been relevant to connecting an aux "directly" to the back of the stereo. However, I cannot verify that the "aux button" on the face of the stereo has anything to do with an "aux in" application.

As with everyone else, I cannot get any information from Nissan. I spoke with someone from Courtesy Nissan recently and he swore that there has NEVER been an aux in cable in the Nissan inventory... Well, we know better.

I have already installed the illuminated steering wheel controls (Thanks Clearstar) and it would be nice to one day actually use them! LOL.. Right now, I have illuminated cruise control. :) I also installed an aux in jack mounted on one of the round blanks by the 12V power socket.

Using the factory manual and wiring information available here, I fashioned a 16 pin plug using a Metra PAN16 harness which I connected to the aux in jack. However, after plugging directly into the back of the stereo and pressing the aux button, I got nothing while using the sound coming from the headphone jack of an iPod.

What was really disconcerting was that no matter what I did, I got nothing! ..not even popping, or crackling when I tried reversing wires. Anyway, if anyone can shed some light, it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have one and that is what I tried using the PAN16 connector I fashioned into an aux in port. It may be that everything on that 16 pin plug has to first be fed to an amp but the lack of an pop or crackling whatsoever makes me wonder if the aux button on that stereo was used for something else..

·
Registered
44 Posts
I did the same thing on the CD player from my 2000 Xterra, but I had less pins to work with (8 pin DIN, if I recall). The trick was one of the pins had to to be held high before the stereo would recognize the input.

I have a RF unit that I'm going to be trying the same thing with, as soon as I can find the connectors...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sorry, "held high?"
Sorry, um that usually means applying voltage above zero (+) to indicate a 1 vs a 0 in the digital world. That's probably a iffy explanation.

Anyhow on the old unit I modified that meant I had to apply +12v to the pin (I used a switch) to tell the head unit there was an audio signal on the aux line.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 21 Posts