Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Yeah, let's see some more pics if possible, including from up under the vehicle. Thanks for the heads-up.

And BTW, thanks for making me feel better by showing that I'm not the only one with that exact rust.

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The brackets and everything look fine to me. I'll try to get some pics later. I really don't blame Shrockworks for this. As far away as those tubes have to be from the frame brackets, there is bound to be a little bit of flex with enough of an impact. Unfortunately, I got plenty of that on the 'Con.

There were times I really had to ride the clutch and give it more gas then I would like to get one of the tires up and over some monstrous rock, then trying to brake and control your momentum as you crest it and drop down some other huge rock can be difficult and trying at times.

Obviously, some t-case gears would have been worth their weight in gold down there. I shudder to think what it would have been like without Jim's sliders.

The rust is on my to-do list for the next couple months here, now that the weather is starting to warm up a tad.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
OregonX said:
I really don't blame Shrockworks for this. As far away as those tubes have to be from the frame brackets, there is bound to be a little bit of flex with enough of an impact. Obviously, some t-case gears would have been worth their weight in gold down there. I shudder to think what it would have been like without Jim's sliders.
Good call not blaming Jim. When I lift my X from the sliders, unless I put the jack directly under the crossbar, I get some flex. With enough of the vehicle's weight on the slider resting on a rock, flex is inevitable.

So how'd your clutch hold out? Any burning you could smell? For that kind of crawling the X needs gears AND a better clutch, IMO.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: That also points out, that when buying NEW sliders, you SHOULD order the ones with-TWO (2) frame bars/vice one (1)--

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
d-rap said:
So how'd your clutch hold out? Any burning you could smell? For that kind of crawling the X needs gears AND a better clutch, IMO.
It got pretty well toasted I'm sure. The first day wasn't too bad. It was heating up pretty good the second day. I stopped numerous times to let it cool down. And admittedly, there were some pretty harsh rock impacts near the end because I would ride the throttle a little more just to keep my momentum and avoid the clutch. It got ugly. But yes, you're right. A better clutch and gears would have made a world of difference.

I gotta throw a new clutch in sometime in April before I hit the road for Moab.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Yeah, I'm on the verge of calling Spec. Let us know if you take the plunge, and what option you're going with, and I'll do the same. It just sucks that they don't have a companion flywheel.

Babying the clutch like that reminds me of my days taking my Acuras and VWs on gnarly roads. I want to put all that behind me.

·
on line
1,739 Posts
That bar must have flexed an amazing amount.

·
on line
13,467 Posts
I just went out to check on mine. I have the scratches you do, but ive since covered them up w rustoleum for rusty spots. I have the cdouble supports jimbo referd to but im not sure those will help doing what you did. I can see a smaller gap between the front frame support and my rocker than hte back, but no touching or bent areas...yet anyways. I wonder if you cut or got your hands on another steel plate liek the one thats used to mount the front of the slider and added that to BOTH sides of the mounting points. It would give you a touch more room between your rocker and the slider. Might just be enough to save you from more damadge on those big bumps?

Anyone following me on this or does my idea make no sense?

·
on line
628 Posts
mcampana said:
Anyone following me on this or does my idea make no sense?
It's not your ideas that don't make sense, it's you. J/K That might be worth it. It doesn't seem like it would it make it worse, but I think no matter what you are going to have some flex. The frame itself doesn't seem as solid as you would think it should be, considering you can crush it when installing the sliders.

·
on line
1,744 Posts
Who was it that suggested welding in some gussets? Seems like that and having the two supports would add to the strength of the sliders. That said imagine the damage with a lesser product.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
It's just the pinch seam, no rocker damager there. As a matter of fact, I think in the directions Jim mentions that this can happen.

BTW, the shock bars are already gusseted.

The 2nd support in the hoop is not going to help this.

·
on line
1,695 Posts
How much clearance is there between the pinch seam and the 2x2 tubing on the Shocks? This is one potential problem I saw when building mine. I think I left about 1/2" or so when building mine, if I remember correct.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
There is probably 1/8" or so. Maybe more or less since there is some play in the bolt holes. There are also things that can affect the clearance, such as variations in the rubber body mounts, etc.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts