Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
on line
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So you guys finally get to see my rig in action. I couldn't wait any longer, although it's not complete yet. Still got to get my shocks mounted diagonally inboard cause it was obvious they were the limiting factor in my rear suspension compression. I was an idiot and didn't air down my tires due to a lack of an air compressor and a 45 minute drive between the trail and my house which I wasn't going to do at 10psi. I ended up stabbing a big rock right through one of the lugs in the middle of the tire. Its kind of unbelievable given that the rock went through the thickest part of the tire. I'm trying to find somewhere that will patch it so I can use it as my spare. I have a new tire on the way. Some questions for you guys:
What on-board air compressor should I get? Since I like to do rockcrawling type stuff airing down, and airing up my tires is a priority from now on.
What is the best way to mount a spare on the roof? I would go with the rear Shrockworks spare carrier but just don't have that much money at the time.
I will continue to post pics and updates once I get enough cash to start working on the X again! I will post the video later. taking too long to upload.

·
on line
197 Posts
Yeah that does suck. Not quite as bad as one of those bicycle spares that cars have...but close!! Just kiddin'...

For compressors, the consensus is the Tsunami portable. I'd heard it was like $40 or so at Pep Boys but could never find it. You can always grab one from Amazon for $83 shipped:
http://www.amazon.com/Master-Flow-M..._1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1206395637&sr=8-1

Direct-connect to the battery with this one as it draws close to 30amps.

·
In Limbo
9,460 Posts
Ouch, I'd like to see a photo of the rock that did that to your tire.

For the time being, go get a cheap air compressor that will run of your Xs 12V outlets. They take a long time to fill a tire, but beat having another tire go.

·
on line
807 Posts
FYI, driving around like that can mess up your drivetrain, so find another way to get around until you can get a new tire mounted.

I have a tsunami MF-1050, and it works ok, but my 15# Ultimate Air CO2, is insane, I don't know how people air up without CO2.

·
on line
3,592 Posts
How did you like Jacking the rig up with the Jack? that dam bar is too short for the rear axle. I kept smacking the bumper trying to jack mine up.

got 10 ply tires now, Those cheap stock tires are good to drive in town. NOT on gravel roads.

OH, I carry one of those Costco, Spare Charger/air Compress with built in light. JUST in case, I need the air. Great for inflating my Air mattress for sleeping inside the X.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
And remember for the future, there's a lot of territory between 35 psi and 10 psi; I usually run closer to 15-18 in sharp rocks, because the sidewall flex progressively endangers your sidewalls as you lower psi. It's a trade-off.

I don't have on-board air, technically. I just carry a decent compressor, from 4-Wheel Parts. It's not one of the $400 ones, but it's a knock-off from Q-Industries, made in China, but still fast, and so far, for me and a friend, quite reliable. It's about $150, I think. It takes me from 18 psi to 35 in about two minutes a tire, which is pretty fast (I also carry a cheap foot pump for emergencies; slow, but it gets the job done eventually). But nothing beats a Power Tank, and I'm getting one down the line soon enough.

BTW, aired down to 18-20, you can of course drive on the road in a pinch, maybe not at super high speeds, but you're OK, at least with an LT tire in good condition for relatively short distances.

And hey, rocks can bite at any pressure. That's a nasty puncture. A much more forgiving tire conforming to the rock might have saved you, but you'll never know for sure.

·
on line
264 Posts
i have the viair on board air setup. i love it the gauge and the on off switch is nice its mounted right in front and the tank and compressor are mounted in the back. pretty reasonable and looks nice. the pressure regulator to turn it on and off has 3 different pressure options available too. i can post up some pictures if you are interested.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: I'm with d-rap, I've got one of those dual cylinder compressors (Q89) and that baby will draw 45 amps, so you gotta clamp her, DIRECTLY to the good ole battery--

--It's quite a compressor, a couple minutes per tire and you're on the way !!

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
1,792 Posts
irp88 said:
i have the viair on board air setup. i love it the gauge and the on off switch is nice its mounted right in front and the tank and compressor are mounted in the back. pretty reasonable and looks nice. the pressure regulator to turn it on and off has 3 different pressure options available too. i can post up some pictures if you are interested.
Be great to see some pics.

·
on line
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow thanks for all the replies guys! Yea I was worried about the spare causing problems due to the size difference so I've been driving around with the VDC turned off. I'm going to take a look at those Tsunami, as well as other portable pumps. Doesn't necessarily have to be on-board, just a fast, portable, and reliable one. Haha yea using that little jack really sucked but it got the job done.
I'm thinking about having a shop patch the punctured tire and using that as my spare. Good/bad idea?
The ONE time I decide to go wheeling without my air compressor or any tools this is what happens, shoulda known better.
The guys at Wal-Mart have the rock, they wouldn't patch the tire because they claimed the puncture was greater than 1/4". I'm not so sure though as they didn't even remove the tire to take a look at it from the inside. Video coming soon.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: If you have a buddy that works in a tire shop, you might get it fixed (after hours), but no reputable tire dealer/shop will fix a puncture like that, no matter how hard you swear that it'll be a spare ONLY--

rs182 said:
Wow thanks for all the replies guys! Yea I was worried about the spare causing problems due to the size difference so I've been driving around with the VDC turned off. I'm going to take a look at those Tsunami, as well as other portable pumps. Doesn't necessarily have to be on-board, just a fast, portable, and reliable one. Haha yea using that little jack really sucked but it got the job done.
I'm thinking about having a shop patch the punctured tire and using that as my spare. Good/bad idea?
The ONE time I decide to go wheeling without my air compressor or any tools this is what happens, shoulda known better.
The guys at Wal-Mart have the rock, they wouldn't patch the tire because they claimed the puncture was greater than 1/4". I'm not so sure though as they didn't even remove the tire to take a look at it from the inside. Video coming soon.
--DISCARD/DELETE--BUY NEW !!

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
1,792 Posts
That tire looks nasty. You can buy a much more dependable spare for $30-$40 bucks on craigslist, or wherever. Even plugged, is that tire in the pic the one you'd want on the X in the rocks 50 miles from nowhere? If I'm down to just four tires and I'm still in harm's way, I want a spare that's excellent. If I got the one in the pic repaired and it tore on a rock at the plugs/patch, I'd be pretty annoyed with myself, not to mention the walk.

·
on line
14,613 Posts
.........................So ....................I'm ......................Wonderin.................................

where are the shrock bars?
where are the bumpers (front and rear)
where is the high lift to use with the shrock bars
where is the winch if you get stuck
where is the fully functional spare that matches the rest of your tires.
where is the belly armor ........you said you were in the rocks
where is the on board air...not even a cheap compressor
where was your wheeling buddies
and no tools
I guess I am still wondering why you went wheeling if your rig was not ready and it sounds like you were not either. My rig is still not ready after 2 and a half years of tinkering but I am not going to risk my rig and myself until I am ready and my truck is ready. I'll stand by for the trash talk comin my way but I had to say something regarding preparation.

·
on line
152 Posts
chrishaynesusa, Might have been dumb but at least if he had to walk back he would have had a good story, or should I say better story since this one is pretty good.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts