Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
on line
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to mount some rock lights under the X I am going to bolt them to the factory studs for the step rails (no way or those things rock sliders) and have a switch inside to operate and I can wire all that no problem.
Last night my wife says it would be cool if when she opened the door a light would come on to light up the ground where she steps. Where she has to park for work is a dirt lot and last night she stepped down into a pot hole full of water and almost fell because the ground was a lot lower than expected this is not the the first time this has happened.
Can anybody suggest how I can wire this setup so the lights come on with the door opening up, and also can still be turned on with a switch with the door closed and a way the circuit can handle the door open and the switch on at the same time. I thought of doing two separate lights one for each application but If there is another way I would love to know how.
THANKS in advance for any help.

·
on line
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
great idea thanks for the tip all thought I do not have the key fob but it will work for her.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Wire into the dome light might be a good idea. The other thing is to wire it into the door switch. Just be sure to use a relay.

·
on line
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All great idea's and I would like to do all three a toggle, door, and dome would be sweet but how about a step by step has anybody done this. Like I said before I can wire up some lights just like doing offroad lights but how do I do it right so all scenarios work. Maybe a schematic.

·
on line
432 Posts
I actually did the dome light tap for my underside lights and posted about it. I wanted to make a great How-To for it but I had a friend who owns a shop help with the tap part and I still don't understand what he did.

I have a switch also but it only keeps them from coming on. I have no control to turn them on whenever I want without a door open. His comment about that was he didn't want any power feeding back into the dome light or instrument panel.

I have a day off tomorrow I'll try to take some close-up pictures that might be helpful. Also I LOVE the lights at night. I used 55w driving lights and have them pointed out and down at about 45 degrees and it lights up about 50 feet out on a flat surface. :)

- Russell

·
on line
1,638 Posts
Excuse the paint drawing, but I'd suggest one of 2 ways.

1. SPDT switch which would allow you to:
-have lights always off
-switch on/off the lights whenever you want and
-switch on/off whether the lights will come on with the map/dome lights.

2. SPST switch which would allow you to switch on/off lights whenever you want. And lights would always come on with the map/dome lights.

There are a few additional variations in wiring and control that I can think of, but these two seem most useful. I say tap into the final map/dome light (-) trigger wire b/c I can't remember if the door trigger wires are on a universal circuit or each individually wired separately. By tapping into the final light wire, you know for sure that the rock lights will come on with any door opening and also by key fob unlocking of doors.

·
on line
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RussellB xterrock thank you so much. I pretty much see what I can do and I have done many stereo, off road light, and CB's installs I have a few question with this setup.
1) No matter what if I want to turn on the rock lights the dome light has to be on right?
2) If my co-pilot need to read a map at night when I am driving down the road and they turn on the dome lights, the rock lights would not come on until I throw the switch correct?
3) Is there something I could add to be able to turn the rock lights on without the dome? does not look like it to me.
4)You have 2 examples wouldn't you want a diode on each systems? and what size or type diode?
5) correct me if am wrong but the diode would need to match the watts drawn by the lights, so it does not back feed to the dome lights?
6) just to clear something up to find the neg trigger wire I could pull the bulb throw the stock switch on to that light and the wire with no power would be it if I put the bulb back in with it on I should now see power?

·
on line
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Forgot one, how do I know which dome light is the final light wire?

·
on line
1,638 Posts
slmh1296 said:
RussellB xterrock thank you so much. I pretty much see what I can do and I have done many stereo, off road light, and CB's installs I have a few question with this setup.
1) No matter what if I want to turn on the rock lights the dome light has to be on right?
2) If my co-pilot need to read a map at night when I am driving down the road and they turn on the dome lights, the rock lights would not come on until I throw the switch correct?
3) Is there something I could add to be able to turn the rock lights on without the dome? does not look like it to me.
4)You have 2 examples wouldn't you want a diode on each systems? and what size or type diode?
5) correct me if am wrong but the diode would need to match the watts drawn by the lights, so it does not back feed to the dome lights?
6) just to clear something up to find the neg trigger wire I could pull the bulb throw the stock switch on to that light and the wire with no power would be it if I put the bulb back in with it on I should now see power?
1,3.With either of the 2 set-ups, the dome lights and the rock lights are independent of each other. Turning one on will not turn the other one on. This is b/c the switch to manually turn on the dome lights and the door switch are on different wires.
2. yes
4.The diode in that one spot is the only place it would be needed.
5.You can overestimate the current draw to be safe. Each dome/map light bulb draws less than 1 amp (~0.6 amps).
6.The wire you are looking for which is the final light wire is negative (-) polarity. If you pull the dome light, you'll see a harness with 3 wires plugging into the housing. One wire is constant (+). Second wire is constant (-). Third wire (-) which is the one you want will show no power with doors closed and negative with doors opened. Confirm the color of the wire and you can find it at the bottom of the B pillar or in the driver's side sill or in the driver's kick panel.

·
on line
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
xterrock thank you so much for taking the time and writing that all up. I do not know how I can but I owe you one.
In ref to #6
The dome light I will be looking at is the front assembly by the mirror I think. So if I take my continuity tester and probe the wires I will find the (+)constant the tester should light up.
But I am unsure how to find constant neg and it looks like I do not even need to.
You wrote the Third wire (-) which is the one you want will show no power with doors closed and negative with doors opened. So if I got his right when I probe the wire with the doors closed I should get no power and when open the doors I should get negative.
It sounds like I can not do this with a continuity tester I do have a multi tester but am unsure on how to see a negative.
Once I figure this out I can tap into the wire by the b pillar or kick panel.
I am sorry for all the ? but I really appreciate it thank you.

·
on line
1,638 Posts
The 3 wire harness also applies to the map lights by the rear view mirror as well. If I remember, the middle wire is (+) and the 2 side ones are (-). This is not a main electrical harness so you can just use a simple test light. If you do use the wire off the front map lights, that wire will run down the front A pillar and into the driver kick panel.

Easiest way to find the wire you want is to ground one end of the tester to the body and probe the 3 wires in the harness. When you get a light, that would be the (+). Then probe one end of tester into that (+) wire and test the other 2 wires. When you get a light by touching one of the remaining 2 wires, you've found the constant (-) with all doors closd. So the remaining wire is the one you want. You can verify this by opening/closing the door.

·
on line
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
xterrock, You most definitely ROCK!!!!
Thank you so much for the info.
I hope one day I can help you. I can most definitely handle this I will post up how it goes with some pic's of the finished Mod. It might be a few days I am building my own lights and mounts too. I maybe even using 10mm L.E.D's, but will probably be using halogen's. I almost have them done.
Thank you again.

·
on line
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
VA7XS I was just going to ask, but if I am reading this right. You need to add up all the bulbs and each one is .6 of a amp, So as suggested I was going to round up to 1 amp per lamp which I think would be 4amps. I am at work right now and can not check but I think there is 2 up by the mirror, 1 for 2nd row and 1 in the cargo area so that would be 4. I guess you could do 4x.6amp=2.4amps.
Do I have this right xterrock?

·
on line
1,638 Posts
Actually you only need to count the map(2 bulbs) and middle (1 bulb) dome lights. The rear one only lights with the rear hatch I think. I tied the rear one into the front ones a long time ago so can't remember how they worked. So at max that would be 3 amps for the front 3 lights but closer to 2 amps.

·
on line
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
xterrock you are the man THANKS. (I say it louder)

1 - 20 of 65 Posts