Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
on line
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know if this has been posted yet... but has anyone installed rock lights on their vehicles yet? For those that don't know what I am talking about, here is a picture of my last vehicle with "rock lights"

As you can see, behind the front bumper I have lights mounted. These are great when it is dark as you can see the trail better. I know it is not a good idea to wheel at night, but they also help when you break a tie rod as the sun sets and you can see what you are doing in the dark. These were the $20 cheap rectangular fog lights that AutoZone sells and worked great. Well, I took the lights off when I sold the jeep but now I cannot find a place to mount them... anywhere!

The rear is already lit up with two round small lights mounted where the spare tire use to be. The sides will be done if I cannot find a spot up front. I would rather have them mounted up front to see in front of the tire, but if not then I will have to figure something else out. Any suggestions??

·
on line
1,638 Posts
I was just under the car doing some work. The skid plate takes up a lot of
room and blocks a lot of open spaces. Maybe mount on the frame or
crossbar of the frame? I remember seeing a number of prethreaded
holes on the frame.

·
on line
589 Posts
I have been planning on doing this in an upcoming mod-day of mine. One of the local X guys with a 1st gen has done this on a Schrock bumper with fantastic results. He said it was his best mod and most used lights, and fit very nicely. I think he managed 4 inch circular lights in there...

·
on line
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My buddy has a 1st gen also with rock lights. Except he is using those "underglow" LED tubes from ebay. Followed him on a unlit road and he turned em on... I could see everything! I wish I had mine!! But this weekend I will be under there again looking for a place to mount some. Hopefully I can find a spot by the 22nd as we leave for MOAB!!

norshor said:
Adding another mod to my list now. Thanks. Thanks a lot.
I'm just here to help everyone else spend money to mod :cheers: haha

·
on line
853 Posts
I've been thinking about mounting something to the sides of the Shrock radiator skid, going through one of the large holes on each side with some sort of backing plate, or drilling a new hole on each side. Still just in the thinking stages at this point.

·
on line
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i know that if i had the shrock bumper, there would be much more places to mount. but, school took my money so i have to stick with the stock for now. is the shrock skid wider than the stock one? if i mount the lights to the outter chassis in the wheel well (on one of those tapped holes) the tire will hit it. so i was looking at mounting the lights on the inside as it will keep less mud and stuff from hitting it. but if the shrock skid is wider or close to stock, i will have to look at another location because there isnt much room in there

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Hmmm, LED tubes sounds like an interesting idea.

As long as they're white and only used off-road.

·
on line
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
syndicate said:
Hmmm, LED tubes sounds like an interesting idea.

As long as they're white and only used off-road.
they are white LEDs, and very bright. i am seriously thinking about getting the LED tubes instead of mounting these damn lights.

So, after standing under my X for 2 hours pondering on where I want to mount the lights... I still have not found a spot. I mounted them, turned em on, figured they were pointless in that spot, found another spot to mount, didnt like it, mounted in another spot, didnt like it... after several attempts the lights are still sitting on my passenger seat. Just lettin you all know that i wasted 2 hours looking at sand and mud under my truck :cheers:

will start early tomorrow morning again. this time they will be installed!

·
on line
874 Posts
led's are the way to go

you have to ask yoruself a few questions when adding lights...how much light do i need, and is the battery/alt going to handle the extra load with everthing else already on. if your in to car audio then you know the answer to this question when adding amps/speakers...(extra battery and capacitors, but lighting is different in that you just need the extra juice form the battery) the brighter the light the more current they will draw, thus it has to take power from some other source, keeping this in mind an LED has the same if not more output for a short distance like what rock lights are used for at a fraction of the wattage. on average your normal lamps will run 35-55 watts time that by 4-6 lights depending on the application and it adds up to a hefty sum on the batter/alt, now consider adding light in those same areas, better yet those areas and more and being able to do it with the same light output or more for 15-20 watts total...you do the math, sounds like no more dead batteries after fixing your rig on the trail...ca'ching...my 2 cents :bigsmurf:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts