Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well since the last time I went wheelin' in February every so often I have been getting a random thunking noise.

Well today I figure it out. I hot my passenger LCA hung up really good the last time out. End of a long day wheelin'. Turns out I pushed the first lower X-member just below the camber bolt into my LCA by the bushing. Easily repairable I think, but I need to pull off the entire LCA to do it. For now as I don't have the time I am just going to leave it as it doesn't appear to be rubbing much. My alignment seems just fine though.

No pictures now.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Check out the passenger side lower control arm where it is mounted to the X member. That is where mine is damaged.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Mine are all smashed up. I was really hoping that when jim built the front skid he would some how protect that area.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
muzikman said:
Mine are all smashed up. I was really hoping that when jim built the front skid he would some how protect that area.
I need to get mine fixed. When I do a hard left turn the pressure on the LCA pushes and it binds it all up.

I was looking at to see if I could coble up some armor.

·
on line
142 Posts
Here is a side view of my passenger side, forward LCA mount.

Is that what you are talking about? I'm thinking that I need to drop the LCA and get pretty long pry bar in there to fix it.

If you drop the LCA will the spring pop out of its mounts? Will i need a spring compressor, in other words?

I also need to get the camber bolts and want to do this at the same time. Any experience?

Thanks for pointing it out.

Z.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is the exact damage I have.

The spring is attached to the shock/strut. You will need to remove the lower bolt on the shock, but no compression tool is needed.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So my truck is at the shop to be repaired. I stopped over last night and they had it on the table to measure the front suspension. Apparently my passenger side is a 1/2" to the back. However, he was waiting on nissan to confirm the measurements he had in the manual. Apparently the OR model was not listed in the Nissan 05 manual only S and SE and he wants to check and verify before ripping her apart. Sign of a good shop IMO.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
So you think you actually tweaked the entire thing?

This is the exact reason I got the cam bolts off Sexterra. I want to drop the LCA, but I am afraid that the cam bolts are messed up.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I luckily I didn't tweak the entire thing just the mounting tabs front and rear. They seem very vulnerable.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
They are. My drivers side is banged up pretty good.

I think most of the mounts are just thin pressed steel. I was shocked at how easy the rear shock mounts bend.

I'm not sure how it can be done, but I think some form of armor in these areas would be nice. :)

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was looking at it, but it would be a real PITA because you need to account for the movement of the LCA.

All the cross members are just thin stamped steel.

I also don't like the junction box located in between the body and the fame in the front by the passengers side.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts