Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In desperate need of a new alternator. Debating between a mean green and one from rock auto. They have the 110 amp and 130 amp units on their site. With the 130amp, they have remanufactured AC Delco and Beck/Arnley. Is there an advantage to one of those brands over the other? Both are $223.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just buy a junkyard alt and then have ur bad one rebuilt and use it as a spare.
I've gone through more alternators than I have brake pads!
Mean green isn't worth it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I agree about the mean green. If it was 100% sealed it would be a no brainer. But "more sealed than stock" isn't enough of a selling point.

And going to the junk yard and getting one means doing the job twice- removing it from the donor vehicle then doing it all over again on my truck. I was hoping to avoid that if at all possible.

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It only takes a few minutes to remove one.
But I think most junkyards by me remove and test most alternators themselves cause they offer a 30 warranty.
There's also carparts.com or something like that. U can find used parts with warranties and get them shipped.

A few minutes? I was reading the how to's along with other feedback and it seemed like it was a PITA job since it's so hard to get to the alternator.

·
Registered
7,713 Posts
Dude, if you call the local yards they'll tell you if they have it. Not to mention, it's probably already on the shelf.
Redmonds, Mikes, Bills, Brandywine, A&A recyclers.. etc. Not all yards are U pick U pull like Crazy Rays.
Also, if you call the yards they can tell you if they have it or someone else on the hotline does locally. If you do go reman.... I'd go AC Delco.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dude, if you call the local yards they'll tell you if they have it. Not to mention, it's probably already on the shelf.
Redmonds, Mikes, Bills, Brandywine, A&A recyclers.. etc. Not all yards are U pick U pull like Crazy Rays.
Also, if you call the yards they can tell you if they have it or someone else on the hotline does locally. If you do go reman.... I'd go AC Delco.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'll call around to those places. Thanks.
Rather get it from a local spot instead of paying twice as much online.

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After ur second alternator you should be able to do it in 15min.
It's pretty easy once u get the hang of it.
But yes the first time is a pain. Friggin Nissan uses super glue on their connectors.

Lol alright. The how to says to not even unplug the connector until you get the alternator unbolted because it's so hard to get the plug off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts