Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Post some more information on where this is and did you cross the river or go out a ways and turn around?

·
on line
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Post some more information on where this is and did you cross the river or go out a ways and turn around?
I though I responded to this a while back. Haven't been on in a bit so sorry for the late reply.

If you're in Grand Junction head up Little Park Road towards Bangs Canyon. Take the Billings Canyon turn off and just follow that down to the river. You'll bypass the spot where you go right to Billings and keep following the trail. There's only one spot that is a little hairy. Have a buddy spot you and you'll be fine.

There's a island on the far side of the rive we drove out to. Didn't cross the entire thing. The deep channel of the rive was on the other side and on the other side of that is railroad tracks and a cliff so we were limited. Not a drop of water inside on that part but on the way back I got hung up on a rock for a while half way through and to be yanked off backwards. Was working the pedals under water.

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Referring to the snorkel:

Not sure I really needed it but, better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
Was working the pedals under water.
Do you have to flush anything after that? diffs, that sort of thing ?
Probably should but i didn't. Getting everything flushed in a month or so just in case. And doing the breather mod.
You crossed that, with water up to the pedals inside the cab WITHOUT having done the DIFF BREATHER MOD?!? AND you haven't checked the rear diff fluid. Man, I don't want to sound harsh, but that is straight foolishness. The kind that will lead you to to a couple $1000 in damages.

You spent $400+ on a snorkel you didn't need, but not $4 on a mod that you did need, and now haven't even taken 5 minutes to check the rear diff IN 7 MONTHS OF TIME!!!!!?????!!!! :violent1:

I would not wait a month. You might not need to change the fluid if you are lucky, but CHECK it ASAP! If not, this is your prize you are apparently trying to win: :withstupid:

·
on line
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
No!... Geez... It was checked. No apparent water intrusion. Just not flushed. But to rub salt in my own wound that Surf gave me... I checked it with the very same silicon tubing that I have for the breather mod! That I don't have... Yet...

Man... Thought I was gonna get CAPS LOCKED to death for a sec...

Oh.. and the snorkel was a freebie. Had some old Vette parts laying around and traded a fella I was stationed with for it!

·
on line
22,508 Posts
No!... Geez... It was checked. No apparent water intrusion. Just not flushed. But to rub salt in my own wound that Surf gave me... I checked it with the very same silicon tubing that I have for the breather mod! That I don't have... Yet...

Man... Thought I was gonna get CAPS LOCKED to death for a sec...

Oh.. and the snorkel was a freebie. Had some old Vette parts laying around and traded a fella I was stationed with for it!
Glad to hear you checked it. I was about to get out the rubber hose. Haha.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
FWIW - I accidentally ended up in a long stretch of deep water last summer (it was pretty much standing still - not the white water adventure depicted in your video - awesome ride. Anyway I feared my diff was full of water and as soon as I got home pulled the plug. Not a drop of water. I certainly wouldn't bet money on it, but I think unless your submerged for a fairly long period, the little bubble breather on the top would likely keep most of the water out. Again, I wouldn't bet on it - that was just my one time experience.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts