Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
on line
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found 2-3 sets of rims that i really dig for when I upgrade to new tires, however the more i read the more I am discouraged by what selection will fit the X.
I realy like the style of the American Racing Baja and Outlaw II. One website says the Outlaw II will fit. Any thoughts?
What about spacers?? I have read a little about how most do not recommend spacers for anything but off roading. I travel a lot and definintely don't want a tire flying off my X at 70 mph.
Let me know what ya'll think.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Many guys on this site have much more experience trying different wheels, and there are several helpful threads. But I just spent several weeks reading this site, calling companies and consulting people I trust. What I think it comes down to without spacers and in 16x8 are the wheels on Tirerack, and the Pro Comps on the Automotive Customizers site, which is what I went with. They are forged, therefore light and strong, but expensive. I think they look cool, a bit too much bling, but recessed, so they'll resist scratches from rocks, and AC insists they won't contact the brake calipers. No other wheels I know of in 16x8 will fit for sure without spacers. Some people have succeeded with worn brake pads, then found the tires didn't fit after they replaced brake components. The KMC Enduros Spencer at SLR used on his SEMA Fronty ran into these kinds of problems, as far as I know.

That said, Pro Comp is right up the street from my 4 Wheel Parts store in Compton, CA, and the owner comes in all the time. He told the salesman I trust that he knows about the fitment issues new Xers are having, and that they are coming to the rescue, soon. So we'll see. From lockers, to clutches, to roofracks, to wheels, it feels like we're on the verge of some breakthroughs. So far, we've been generally neglected, with some brilliant exceptions, by the aftermarket.

Again, no personal experience, but the folks I listen to argue to avoid spacers on and off- road, if possible. It's a new weak point, no two ways about it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts