Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
281 - 300 of 309 Posts

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #281 ·
Great storyline of the build. the Titan swap really seems to be the way to go with the X. I like the fact it really didn't change how it sits. What is you weight capacity and do you still tow? I have a frt/rr bumper to get on and already have the rat and frontrunner rack.
Thanks, my goal was to build a capable vehicle without raising it to the sky. It's extremely capable off-road and plenty manageable on road. I don't tow much, but the rear springs are Deavers that have a higher capacity than stock. It should manage towing pretty well.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #282 · (Edited)
Well, I decided to try out a mod that's fairly new to the X and Frontier, but has been around for several years in the Z, Skyline, and S-chassis scene; Audi R8 coils. I had to spend some $$$ for the adapters but the coils were $21 each from Rock Auto. This mod has supposedly dyno'd with a 9HP improvement. People also report slightly improved MPG. We'll see how it goes, though.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #284 ·
I'm curious to find out how they turn out! I considered this for my Altima.
So far, I've only driven one way to work, so I can't factor MPG right now. However, low end throttle response is definitely improved, and that's not just placebo. On the highway, there's a spot where the speed limit goes from 60 to 70 and I always have to kick down to passing gear to speed up. Today, there was decent throttle response and I was able to get up to speed without the kick down. I can't speak for WoT response or acceleration times, though, because I haven't tested that.

I'll update about MPG in about a week.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #286 ·
The question is though, is this an improvement over your worn out coils or due to it being the Audi coils? Probably would be impossible to separate the two without comparing to fresh coils. The MPG might tell you something though.
That's something I've been curious about, we're putting fresh plugs and new coils. Is it just that or do the R8 coils make that big of a difference? I don't know, I mean I only have about 68K miles on my X, the coils shouldn't be too tired. Time will tell, though.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Well, I decided to try out a mod that's fairly new to the X and Frontier, but has been around for several years in the Z, Skyline, and S-chassis scene; Audi R8 coils. I had to spend some $$$ for the adapters but the coils were $21 each from Rock Auto.

Where did you get the adapters?

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #288 ·
Where did you get the adapters?
I ordered them from Rico Rodriguez on FB. He's actually been pretty hard to get hold of. He's been off social media to try and catch up on orders and work on getting a business going for the adapters.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #289 ·
Since I'm on leave and I had to postpone our trip because of this "outbreak", I decided it was time to replace a bad oil seal and circlip on the front diff. Normally, I'd do this on the lift at the auto hobby shop, but it's closed, so on the ground it is.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Any update on MPG with the coils?

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #291 ·
Any update on MPG with the coils?
No, not yet, I still can't get a good read on MPG, though. I messed up the gap and the electrodes on the first set of plugs I installed (didn't really know I shouldn't touch the electrode with the gap tool), so I lost about 30 miles per tank. I've since put another set of plugs in, but I haven't been driving constantly enough to figure out my MPG. I've been off work this week, had short drives in town, strong winds on the few days I did drive to work last week, near zero temps, 4wd used in snow, etc. It hasn't been a good time to figure out MPG. Hopefully, I can get some more consistency over the next couple weeks and figure out MPG.

·
Registered
301 Posts
No, not yet, I still can't get a good read on MPG, though. I messed up the gap and the electrodes on the first set of plugs I installed (didn't really know I shouldn't touch the electrode with the gap tool), so I lost about 30 miles per tank. I've since put another set of plugs in, but I haven't been driving constantly enough to figure out my MPG. I've been off work this week, had short drives in town, strong winds on the few days I did drive to work last week, near zero temps, 4wd used in snow, etc. It hasn't been a good time to figure out MPG. Hopefully, I can get some more consistency over the next couple weeks and figure out MPG.
ahh I gotcha, well thanks for the reply. How does the power feel? (That is way more important than MPG lol)

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #293 ·
ahh I gotcha, well thanks for the reply. How does the power feel? (That is way more important than MPG lol)
That's one thing that is noticeable, and it's not just placebo. The throttle response is definitely improved, I have more acceleration on the bottom end, prior to kicking down a gear. Previously, I couldn't get very far into the pedal, before the vehicle would shift down, for example, going from a 35 MPH zone to a 45 zone. Now, it actually feels like there's some power there, kind of like it was before I threw the 285s and all the armor on. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
301 Posts
That's one thing that is noticeable, and it's not just placebo. The throttle response is definitely improved, I have more acceleration on the bottom end, prior to kicking down a gear. Previously, I couldn't get very far into the pedal, before the vehicle would shift down, for example, going from a 35 MPH zone to a 45 zone. Now, it actually feels like there's some power there, kind of like it was before I threw the 285s and all the armor on. Does that make sense?
Yeah it does make sense. Thanks, I'll have to do this mod in the future!

Reactions: RikRong
281 - 300 of 309 Posts